Imaging Mass Spectrometry - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 01/16/2024
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Either no clearance, DOE L or Q clearance depending on assignment. Clearances require U.S. citizenship and a background investigation. Uncleared positions over 179 days may require an investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Staff Member to join a US Department of Energy-funded multi-institution research program led by LLNL (https://bio-sfa.llnl.gov) focused on sustainable and predictable bioenergy crop production. This is a team-oriented project that uses a community systems biology approach to understand resource allocation consequences of microscale symbioses between microbes and bioenergy-relevant crops. Your role will be to learn to use a unique next generation imaging mass spectrometry instrument (NanoSIMS) with a cryogenic stage and ultra-high spatial resolution to elucidate biogeochemical processes relevant to US Department of Energy research priorities for bioenergy and carbon cycling. You will have the opportunity to design and execute experiments and publish the results, as well as develop new research directions.
In this role you will:
- Develop and pursue innovative research related to sustainable bioenergy, carbon cycling, microbial ecology, and/or host-microbe interactions.
- Develop expertise in high spatial resolution secondary ion mass spectrometry (NanoSIMS), including instrument tuning, troubleshooting and data collection.
- Develop cryogenic and room-temperature sample preparation methods for NanoSIMS and other imaging techniques.
- Collaborate with a diverse team of multidisciplinary scientists and technical personnel.
- Analyze and interpret NanoSIMS and other data.
- Present research findings at seminars, technical meetings, and scientific conferences
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in chemistry, biology, physics, or a related field
- Demonstrated ability to design, execute and interpret experiments.
- Knowledge of microbial and biogeochemical processes.
- Experience operating and troubleshooting scientific instrumentation.
- Knowledge of data evaluation for quality and statistical analysis.
- Ability to work independently, develop testable hypotheses, and interpret the implications of results.
- writing and verbal communication skills, including peer-reviewed scientific articles and scientific conference presentations.
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team.
Qualifications we desire
- Experience with mass spectrometry, including secondary ion mass spectrometry (SIMS) and stable isotope tracing.
- Experience with biological imaging, including room temperature and cryogenic sample preparation methods.
- Experience researching microbial and/or biogeochemical processes in soil and/or plants .
- Knowledge of US Department of Energy Office of Biological and Environmental Research programs, including bioenergy and the terrestrial carbon cycle.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires either no security clearance, or a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level or Q-level clearance depending on the particular assignment.
If you are selected and a security clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. L and Q-level clearances require U.S. citizenship.
If no security clearance is required, but your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now