Last Updated: July 1, 2023
I. Introduction and Defined Terms
The California Consumer Privacy Act as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act (collectively, the “CCPA”) obligates covered businesses to disclose to you at or before the point of collecting Personal Information, the categories of Personal Information to be collected and the purposes for which the categories of Personal Information shall be used. This notice applies to individuals that are California residents who visit websites under the control of Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC (“LLNS”), which manages and operates the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (“LLNL”) on behalf of the United States Department of Energy/National Nuclear Security Administration (“DOE/NNSA”) under a contract.
LLNS has a separate privacy notice for:
- LLNS’s workforce, including employees, job applicants, and contractors (“CCPA Workforce Privacy Notice”); and
- Site Visitors of LLNL (“CCPA Site Visitor Privacy Notice”)
“Personal Information” is any information that we can reasonably use to identify you, including information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could be reasonably linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular individual or household. Personal Information includes “Sensitive Personal Information” as defined below.
“Sensitive Personal Information” includes special categories of Personal Information, including but not limited to, a social security number, a driver’s license number, a passport number, an account login, a password, a precise geolocation, racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, genetic data, biometric data, and data concerning health.
II. Personal Information That We Collect
Generally, we collect Personal Information directly from you in circumstances where you provide such data. However, in some instances, the Personal Information we collect has been provided by other means including your interactions with us and by third parties. For example, we may collect and store information in connection with your use or browsing of a LLNS website including:
- The Internet Protocol (IP) address of the domain from which you access the Internet (i.e., 123.456.789.012) whether yours individually or provided as a proxy by your Internet Service Provider (ISP)
- The date and time you access our site
- The pages you view (recorded by the text and graphics files that compose that page)
- The Internet address of the website from which you linked directly to our site
- The browser name and version you are using
- Other Internet or other electronic network activity information
If you prefer not to proceed knowing that information is collected and used as described herein, we recommend that you discontinue your use of this site.
III. How We Use or Disclose Collected Personal Information
We may use or disclose the Personal Information we collect from you or about you to do one or more of the following:
- To fulfill or meet the purpose for which you provided the information.
- To identify you and to communicate with you.
- To run our business operations.
- To comply with government regulations and contract obligations.
- To enforce or apply our policies and other agreements.
- To protect the rights, property, or safety of LLNS, our employees, or others.
- To courts, law enforcement, governmental or public authorities, if we are required or permitted to do so by law or where disclosure is reasonably necessary: (i) to comply with our legal obligations, (ii) to comply with a valid legal request or to respond to claims asserted against us, or (iii) to respond to a valid legal request relating to a criminal investigation to address alleged or suspected illegal activity, or to respond to or address any other activity that may expose us, you, or any other of our users to legal or regulatory liability.
We may also disclose your Personal Information to a third party for a business purpose, including to our service providers. We disclose and share your Personal Information with the following categories of third parties:
- Service providers including subcontractors that provide services or support to Lab operations.
- Third parties with whom you direct us to share your Personal Information.
- To a successor managing and operating (M&O) contractor in the event that LNS ceases to be the management and operating contractor for LLNL.
- Government agencies, to the extent required by law, regulation, or order.
LLNS acts to protect your Personal Information by using reasonable security measures to protect and safeguard Personal Information. LLNS does not sell your Personal Information.
IV. Your Privacy Rights Under the CCPA
The CCPA provides you with privacy rights as to information about you which LLNS may maintain. These rights include:
Right to Know
You have a right to submit a verifiable request for copies of your Personal Information that LLNS has held over the past 12 months, free of charge, including:
- The categories of Personal Information that we have collected.
- The categories of sources from which we collected Personal Information.
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting, selling, or sharing Personal Information.
- The categories of third parties to whom we disclose Personal Information.
- The specific pieces of Personal Information we have collected.
Right to deletion
At your request, we will delete your Personal Information unless we need to keep such information for legal purposes and/or to provide services or further the relationship with us that you have requested, including, but not limited, to your role as an employee or other employment or business relationship.
Right to opt out of sale or sharing
Subject to certain business and legal exceptions, you may request that we stop selling or sharing your Personal Information for cross-context behavioral advertising. However, as noted above, LLNS does not sell nor disclose Personal Information for cross-context behavioral advertising.
Right to correct
We will use commercially reasonable efforts to comply with your request to correct any inaccurate Personal Information.
Right to limit the use and disclosure of Sensitive Personal Information
Subject to certain business and legal exceptions, you may request that we limit the use and disclosure of Sensitive Personal Information.
Right to data portability
At your request, and subject to certain exceptions, we will provide you free of charge with any of your Personal Information that we hold, and will provide it in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format.
Right to nondiscrimination
You are entitled to exercise the rights described above free from discriminatory treatment prohibited by the CCPA.
We will keep the information we collected as described in this Privacy Notice only for as long as we believe that we need it for the purposes we have collected it, to meet our legal obligations (including meeting preservation obligations set by law and applicable retention policies), to resolve disputes, maintain security, prevent fraud and abuse, enforce our agreements with you, or otherwise fulfill a legitimate business interest.
VI. Changes to this Privacy Notice
We reserve the right to modify this Privacy Notice at any time in accordance with applicable law. If we do so, we will post the revised Privacy Notice and update the “Last Updated” date at the top of this page. Your provision of Personal Information to use after any change in this policy will constitute your acceptance of such change.
VII. Exercising Your Rights and Contact Information
We will respond to permitted requests, including those from an authorized agent, in accordance with applicable laws if it can verify the identity of the individual submitting the request. You can exercise your rights under the CCPA, or provide your questions or concerns about LLNS’s privacy policies and information practices, by contacting LLNS hr-employee-records [at] llnl.gov (by email) or by calling 925-422-9348. For further information or questions about the CCPA, please send an email to privacy [at] llnl.gov (privacy[at]llnl[dot]gov).
VIII. Interaction with Children
Websites under the control of LLNS are not designed with the intent to attract the collection of information from individuals under the age of 13. LLNS does not knowingly collect information from these individuals, and requests that children under the age of 13 not submit any Personal Information to us while viewing a LLNS website.