Associate Program Leader for Test Engineering: Z Program, Space Science and Security (SSS)
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 01/11/2024
Job Code: SEL.4 Science & Engineering TSL 4 / SEL.5 Science & Engineering TSL 5
Organization: Global Security
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance) with Sensitive Compartmented Information access
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$206,490.00 - $265,188.00 Annually for the SEL.4 level
$247,800.00 - $318,216.00 Annually for the SEL.5 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for an Associate Program Leader for Test Engineering within Z Program’s Space Science and Security Program (SSSP). Test Engineering is a newly formed entity in LLNL’s Space Program, which will develop innovative solutions to run experiments and tests to validate new mission concepts.
You will provide technical, and strategic leadership to manage execution of a complex set of test engineering projects and will serve as the primary point of contact for the program and the sponsor addressing current and evolving mission objectives for the SSSP.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Lead, manage, and coordinate Principal Investigators (PIs) and projects within the Test Engineering program area in SSSP, including funding oversight. Develop and track project execution plans for the program’s assigned research and development projects, including allocation and monitoring of available personnel and budgets.
- Serve as the point of contact for relevant technical areas associated with the Test Engineering mission area and sponsors as defined by the Program Leader. Represent the Test Engineering program, with space sponsors and other U.S. Government organizations, traveling as necessary.
- Determine specific test requirements to meet mission goals, and to design tests that can effectively reduce key analytic uncertainties.
- Responsible for ensuring that testing performed by SSSP adheres to rigorous quality standards, working with the SSSP team to develop test plans and schedules to meet sponsor needs.
- Responsible for ensuring that test plans and resulting data meet appropriate review standards.
- Develop new program opportunities, including the definition and development of research proposals in collaboration with potential sponsors, as well as testing partners.
- Recruit staff in collaboration with counterparts, management, and matrix organizations to support the Test Engineering program mission areas while respecting execution requirements and commitments of other projects and programs in SSSP and Z Program and assist the SSSP Program Leader to balance resources with the other program areas.
- Maintain and ensure appropriate quality standards of highly complex projects for all the program’s research and development activities including reviewing, coordinating, and approving deliverables, publications, and presentations.
- Develop and track project execution plans for the Test Engineering program’s assigned research tasks, including allocation and monitoring of available personnel and budgets.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SEL.5 level
- Develop innovative concepts and provide expert leadership, technical vision, and strategic planning for both analytic and scientific research and development environments.
- Present project accomplishments and meet customer expectations, as well as identify new opportunities, goals, and application areas by leading the development of proposals interacting with senior program management.
- Brief work to senior management and senior U.S. Government decision makers on overall impact and approach.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top-Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire. Also, you must have the ability to obtain and maintain Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access.
- Bachelor’s degree in Physical Science, Engineering or a related discipline, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Substantial experience in designing and conducting experimental tests, documenting results of experimental tests, and writing safety notes.
- Substantial experience managing, leading, and supervising large multidisciplinary projects and teams for external programmatic sponsors to meet deliverables.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise senior management and external sponsors and customers, including preparing and presenting proposals and reporting results.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and collaborate with other personnel effectively in achieving project objectives.
- Significant experience initiating and leading scientific and technical research projects and teams and securing competitive funding for scientific research in the form of research grants or sponsored research projects.
- Substantial experience working in a classified environment with highly complex, multi-agency security requirements and with both classified and unclassified subject matter.
Additional qualifications at the SEL.5 level
- Master’s degree or Ph.D. in Physical Science, Engineering or a related discipline, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Extensive expertise in designing and conducting experimental tests, documenting results of experimental tests, and writing safety notes.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of advancements that have impact beyond the Laboratory.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience managing a portfolio of several projects funded by different sponsors, and significant experience simultaneously managing and leading several projects.
- Ability and willingness to study and learn new advances in specific topics, expand personal expertise, and apply increased understanding to propose new lines of investigations.
- Experience in software development as shown by open-source projects, scientific collaboration contributions, or an employment background that includes software engineering roles or responsibilities.
- Significant experience working on a research team with individuals from diverse technical backgrounds, as well as an ability to function as an independent researcher with a high level of attention to detail.
- Experience working in the U.S. national security community.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire. Also, you must have the ability to obtain and maintain Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access. Please note that your current active Q or Top Secret clearance with DOE or another agency does not guarantee DOE SCI access approval; if you are denied access, you may be subject to reinvestigation of your existing Q or Top Secret Clearance.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now