Supporting the Department of Defense as a preeminent innovative science and technology contributor
For more than 60 years the Laboratory has answered the call to help defend this nation, fielding products and providing services that strengthen the ability of the Department of Defense (DoD) to achieve precision effects and enhance situational awareness. LLNL partners with Combatant Commands and the Joint Staff, the Office of the Secretary of Defense, Defense agencies, ervice components, and other DoD elements to meet priority DoD objectives. Working with service and national laboratories, industry and academia to provide timely, innovative, and cost-effective solutions to warfighter priorities, LLNL provides mission support in the following areas:
- Advanced conventional weapons: LLNL has pioneered an innovative class of advanced, precision-effects munitions that have proven both cost-effective to develop and capability-enhancing in the field.
- Defense technology innovation: LLNL teams focus on actionable solutions to priority warfighter needs that are technologically sound, operationally feasible and support mission needs.
- Directed energy solutions: LLNL supports the Department of Defense goal of improving its ability to operate effectively within the electromagnetic spectrum to mitigate operational risks associated with adversary anti-access and area-denial capabilities.
- Warfighter support: LLNL scientists innovate, prototype and field capabilities and provide direct operational support on urgent and emergent warfighter requirements.
Featured Capabilities and Technologies
- Seismic Research Making Waves
- Supporting an Exercise of Global Importance
- Helping Cities Prepare for a Disaster
- Shaking Things Up for the Nation's Defense
- Promoting International Security Through Nuclear Forensics
- Mapping Networks for Cyberdefense
- Particle Detection Technology With a New National Security Mission
- Tiny Silicon Pillars Can Detect Giant Threats
- Averting Impact: Modeling Solutions to Prevent Asteroid Collisions