A distinguished track record in developing, deploying and delivering advanced biodefense capabilities
To keep the world safe from ever-changing biological threats, revolutionary advances in detection, characterization and mitigation are essential to safeguard against disease.
The Laboratory's researchers believe the best way to respond to a crisis is to prevent that crisis from taking place. That's why the Laboratory teams with academia, industry and other government agencies to take on the entire lifecycle of a biological threat - from awareness to prevention, preparedness to detection, and response to recovery.
The Laboratory's expertise includes:
- Rapid detection and characterization of emerging and unknown threats by enabling a global disease surveillance system that will significantly reduce the time it takes to detect and characterize an emerging or unknown pathogen.
- Speedier development of new medical countermeasures for new pathogens by addressing key scientific barriers in the drug discovery and development process.
- Greatly improved science to underpin threat assessment and risk analyses, through science-based threat characterization, simulation and intelligence analysis.
Featured Capabilities and Technologies
- Bioprinting Extends the Frontiers of Medical Treatment
- Elusive Protein Structures Revealed by Advanced Lasers
- Two-Part Microbial Detection
- A New Role for Hair in Human Identification
- Bridging the Communication Gap Between Cells and Circuits
- A New Model for Pharmaceutical Research
- Biosecurity Gets a Boost With a Human-on-a-Chip
- DNA-Tagged Sugar Particles Simulate Aerosol Airflow Patterns
- A Faster and Cheaper Method to Detect Agents of Disease
- New Mechanisms for Regulating Bone Formation
- Biomedical Accelerator Mass Spectrometry Instrument
- Nanolipoprotein Anthrax Vaccine
- Fast Polymerase Chain Reaction