Refine Search Clear All
Applied Mechanics/Physics - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 06/11/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Postdoctoral Researchers to pursue fundamental and applied research in areas of materials science and constitutive modeling. Our mission encompasses aspects of computational and theoretical physics associated with understanding wave propagation and the response of mechanically loaded granular and/or heterogeneous materials. You will work with a team of experienced scientists to design and analyze simulations and experiments to assess the mathematical forms describing the constitutive response of these materials. This position is in the Computational Geosciences Group of the Atmospheric, Earth and Energy Division.
In this role you will
- Apply requisite computer software for simulation of experiments or for virtual data generation.
- Assess state-of-the-art constitutive models through comparison with experimental data.
- Setup, perform and analyze large-scale simulations on HPC platforms using multiphysics codes with coupled physics packages which may include; hydrodynamics, material strength, radiation transport, CFD, and multiphase flows.
- Independently develop, assess, and provide in-depth analysis of the complex response of materials under various loading conditions.
- Author or co-author peer-reviewed journal articles, reports, and scientific presentations to internal and external customers.
- Work independently as well as collaboratively as part of a scientific team and interact with scientists and engineers to design and implement creative solutions to challenging research problems.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- PhD in physics, engineering, applied mathematics, or closely related field.
- Record of completing outstanding research in relevant areas of physics and engineering.
- Experience leading independent work conducting applied physics research.
- Experience developing unique solutions for technical objectives.
- Knowledge of Unix-like operating systems, computational tools and languages (including C/C++ and scripting languages).
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Initiative, interpersonal skills, and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience developing and implementing computational algorithms.
- Experience with algorithmic development of continuum models for solid mechanics.
- Experience developing and implementing new constitutive models and/or algorithms.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now