Refine Search Clear All
High-Energy-Density Physics Graduate Student Intern
Students | livermore, CA | 01/25/2021
Job Code: 705.2 Grad Student R&D/Technical / 712.0 Intern Exempt
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None, but work must be performed by a U.S. person (e.g., U.S. citizen or permanent resident and certain others). Also, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for graduate students and student who have received their Bachelor's or Master's degree, to engage in practical research experience to further their educational goals. You will conduct research in the fields such as nuclear physics, radiation transport, hydrodynamics, astrophysics, plasma dynamics, numerical methods and computer science. Research projects combine theory with computation and are geared to further the students’ educational goals. This position is in the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) directorate.
In this role you will
- Students will work with mentors under limited supervision on their assigned projects.
- Students will develop and/or employ high performance scientific software to complete novel research tasks.
- An oral presentation of each project is required at the end of the summer.
- Students will also be required to present their work at a poster session.
- Students are assigned projects of greater complexity and given more freedom and responsibility to come up with fundamental solutions
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be currently enrolled in an accredited university and actively pursuing a graduate degree or completed a Bachelor's or Master's degree with a focus in Physics, Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science or a related field.
- Must have experience applying basic principles of physics, engineering and/or computer science to solve technical problems.
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment.
- Math, Physics and Engineering majors should intend to complete a Ph.D.
- Students should have a track record of achievement in their field of study.
Qualifications We Desire
- GPA of 3.5 or above.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral