Refine Search Clear All
Assurance Manager - Active Security Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/04/2022
Job Code: TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Assurance Manager. You will work with the Engineering Associate Directorate (AD) and the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Associate Directorate (PAD) to provide independent guidance and oversight of Environmental, Safety and Health (ES&H), Security, Contract Assurance and Quality programs for Engineering’s Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED) and WCI’s Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program. Responsibilities include developing, implementing, and managing plans and procedures to provide assurance that all division and program activities are performed in compliance with Engineering, WCI, and LLNL/LLNS policies as well as federal, state, and local laws and regulations working with programmatic managers and assurance personnel for support of organizational facilities and operations. This position is in DTED and will report administratively to the Associate Division Leader (ADL) for Operations.
In this role you will
- Provide independent oversight of DTED and WTE operations and facilities to assure implementation of LLNL ES&H, Security, Contract Assurance and Quality programs, including leading and conducting Management Self-Assessments (MSAs), Management Observation and Inspections (MOIs), and internal audits.
- Manage incident/accident/event reviews and related reports by analyzing incidents, security infractions to help determine Occurrence Reporting and Processing System (ORPS) thresholds or local reportability levels; provide guidance to line managers in preparation, filing and updating occurrence and noncompliance reports.
- Oversee creation and implementation of Corrective Action Plans (CAP); lead, co-lead, or participate in Root Cause Analysis/critiques/effectiveness/Extent of Condition reviews, often including Human Performance Improvement (HPI) Analysis reports.
- Address and resolve institutional and cross-organizational policy and procedure issues through interaction with other Assurance Managers across LLNL.
- Manage and oversee all DTED and WTE applicable Issues Tracking System (ITS--DevonWay) corrective action items to ensure complete closure in a timely manner; on behalf of WTE, negotiate extensions with LFO, WCI PAD and Management Assurance System (MAS) Office, as appropriate.
- Oversee all WTE Contract Assurance issues to include reviewing supplemental directives, implementation plans, modifications of LLNL Contract 44 via impact analysis and proposed modifications as directed by NNSA Headquarters; all have strict contractual consequences and must meet tight response deadlines.
- Participate in LLNL’s Nuclear Enterprise Assurance (NEA) activities and serve on multi-site committees, representing LLNL on the Nuclear Security Enterprise (NSE) NEA Integration Working Group (NIWG) in collaboration and coordination with LLNL’s NEA Program Manager.
- Teach Organizational Training Requirement (OTR) LTRAIN module related to LLNL and programmatic security policies and procedures; ensure materials are kept current as rules change.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire. Also, you must have the ability to obtain and maintain Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access.
- Bachelor’s degree in science, chemistry, engineering or a related technical/science discipline, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Expert knowledge of ES&H, quality, and security policies, procedures, regulations, and standards.
- Significant experience in assurance arena, i.e., conducting self-assessments, audits, inspections, management reviews related to facilities and ES&H related activities.
- Significant experience in wide-range of safety and security practices coupled with programmatic operation for the safe and secure execution of work scope.
- Experience with use and programming of relational databases, use of statistical or metric reports, software and development of meaningful statistics for program planning, trending and causal analysis.
- Highly advanced leadership skills, mature judgment, and ability to approach and resolve difficult issues using creative and innovative problem-solving skills and decision-making techniques.
- Expert communication, negotiation, collaboration, and interpersonal skills at both the management and technical level necessary to effectively present and communicate with senior management, Livermore Field Office (LFO), NNSA/HQ and other state and government agencies on ES&H assurance and security issues, initiatives, and activities, including experience writing technical documents, such as plans, procedures, specifications, reports and/or institutional documents.
- Ability to travel to sites across the Nuclear Security Enterprise (NSE) to represent LLNL and WTE Program.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.