Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: 504.2 Technologist - C/MS / 504.3 Sr Technologist - C/MS
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening in the Micro & Nano Technology Section (MNTS) for a Process Technologist with a background in one or more of the following areas: micro-electro-mechanical-devices (MEMS), semiconductor, micro/nano-fabrication processes, microfluidic devices, chemical/biological devices and electronic devices. Under general supervision, you will provide advanced technical support to engineers and senior technical personnel for micro-fabrication scientific methodologies and processes, characterization, experimental development, data collection, and testing. You will interact with co-workers, supervisor, and technical personnel, both internal and external to the Laboratory. This position will be in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide general technical support to engineers, scientists, and senior technical personnel in one or more of the following areas: Microfabrication, analysis, characterization, experimental development, experimental execution, data collection, interpretation, reporting.
- Perform microfabrication of devices using MEMS/semiconductor-based technologies, such as: Photolithography, Wet Chemistry, Plasma Etching, Thin Film Deposition (metals, dielectrics, polymers) sputtering, E-Beam, ALD, and Wafer Dicing.
- Measure, test, and analyze materials and substances following standard, and at times unique, procedures and techniques using analytical instruments such as microscopes, SEM, profilometers, and other analytical equipment.
- Responsible for the safe and effective operation, testing, maintenance, and calibration of major scientific instruments and apparatus.
- Write equipment procedures.
- Work in a Class 100 Cleanroom.
- Work with hazardous chemicals & gases and manage hazardous waste.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 504.3 level
- Provide solutions to complex technical problems. Regular decision making to establish or modify guideline techniques, procedures to choose appropriate work methods, and possibly to set priorities.
- Prepare summary reports, report results, identify problems, and suggest solutions.
- Develop processes, procedures, SOP’s, qualification testing.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate degree in Microtechnology, Chemistry/Materials, Electronics or Engineering, or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience in wet chemistries, photolithography, thin film deposition of materials, and plasma etching.
- Experience acquiring and analyzing basic data. Experience keeping laboratory notebook, preparing data summaries of results, and helping to identify problems.
- Ability to provide solutions to moderately complex technical problems.
- Intermediate skills and understanding of relevant technologies and processes, including interpreting, and utilizing laboratory equipment.
- Proficient computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Effective communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills and abilities.
Additional Qualifications, at the 504.3 Level
- High level skills and understanding of relevant technologies and procedures.
- Advanced specialized technical expertise in one or a few areas of chemistry, materials science, engineering, or microfabrication.
- Ability to troubleshoot complex microfabrication problems.
- Ability to provide solutions to complex technical problems, making decisions to establish or modify guidelines techniques, and procedures to choose appropriate work methods, and possibly to set priorities.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now