Refine Search Clear All
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 08/23/2022
Job Code: 320.1 Computer Associate / 320.2 Senior Computer Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Data Engineer to utilize, develop, and evangelize internal information tools, which are used by multiple disciplines in direct support of the W80-4 Life Extension Program. You will employ these tools to capture and characterize test data critical to defense and science projects. Effective deployment and usage of these tools will enable better tracking of experiment history and allow data sharing within LLNL and across the NNSA complex. This position is in the Applications, Simulations, and Quality (ASQ) Division within the Computing Directorate in support of the WTE Data Lifecycle Management Team.
This position will be filled at the 320.1 or 320.2 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop and deploy complex scripts to process, import, and export a wide variety of unstructured test data generated from multiple sources.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of data management web applications, APIs, and visualization tools to effectively communicate their capabilities to data producers.
- Serve as the liaison between internal scientists and the development team to advocate the use of software tools for effective data archival.
- Troubleshoot software issues as they arise and communicate with customers and developers to quickly resolve them.
- Facilitate automated data collection by building rigorous data pipelines.
- Work with customers to create an ontology for standardized test data characterization.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the 320.2 Level
- Exercise independent discretion and judgement to define, develop, and implement original solutions to complex data management across a broad set of disciplines at the team, directorate, and institutional level.
- Provide formal/informal technical leadership and/or domain expertise in researching, advising and recommending technical solutions and approaches.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in a Computer, Engineering, or Mathematics related field, or equivalent combination of technical training and extensive experience.
- Experience using Markdown, JSON, YAML, or other similar markup language
- Knowledge of RESTful web APIs, HTTP, and version control systems (Git).
- Significant experience using Unix/Linux command prompt to navigate through file directories, create/delete files, and run scripts.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to present/explain technical knowledge, and provide advice to management, regulators, reviewers, and stakeholders.
Additional Qualifications at the 320.2 Level
- Highly advanced experience collaborating with management, customers or high-level technical personnel to provide direction in the design, evaluation, recommendation, and implementation of systems, services, or processes.
- Advanced experience independently analyzing and interpreting complex data/business processes requiring highly advanced knowledge of materials management, data management, and/or scientific experimentation.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with scientific Python programming (numpy, pandas, matplotlib).
- Experience using REST APIs to send and receive data.
- Comfortable being an advocate for a new technical product.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.