Refine Search Clear All
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 11/17/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Flexible Term or Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for Software Developers to support a variety of software development assignments. You will work on a multi-disciplinary team in an environment that focuses on problems of interest to LLNL and Department of Energy (DOE) programs as a member of a dynamic, multidisciplinary team environment. This position will be within a group in the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Employ moderately complex software engineering methods using industry standard software development practices and modern programming languages and operating systems.
- Develop a range of applications including scientific, graphical user interface, database, and visualization applications.
- Participate in the requirements definition, analysis, design, implementation, debugging, testing, and optimization of computer programs on workstations.
- Contribute to the fulfillment of technical projects and organizational objectives functioning as an effective team member on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Engage other developers frequently to share relevant knowledge, opinions, and recommendations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Manage multiple advanced parallel tasks and priorities of customers and stakeholders, ensuring deadlines are met, while leveraging team member’s skills.
- Design, implement, deploy, and maintain software systems using object-oriented analysis, design, and programming techniques.
- Provide solutions to complex problems that require in-depth analysis of tangible and intangible factors.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Proficiency in object-oriented programming with high-level languages such as C++ or Java and interpreted languages such as Perl or Python.
- Broad experience developing software with either Python or C++ within Linux and/or Windows environments.
- Experience with source code control systems, such as Subversion or Git.
- Experience providing innovative approaches and applying new technologies to broadly defined tasks and projects.
- Experience approaching difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity.
- Proficient interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate as part of a cohesive development team working with multiple customers and organizations simultaneously with time constraints and present and explain technical information to others.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience designing, implementing, deploying, and maintaining software systems using object-oriented analysis, design, and programming techniques.
- Advanced ability to work effectively with minimal guidance and provide innovative approaches and apply new technologies to broadly defined tasks and projects with effective analytical and problem-solving skills for complex problems.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a technical team environment to present, explain and provide advice to management.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
- Experience with MPI, OpenMP, parallel programming, GPU programming, containers, continuous integration and/or experience with High Performance Computing.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.