Refine Search Clear All
Network Engineer - ACTIVE SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIRED
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Network Engineer to ensure our network architecture and operations are optimal and secure by collaborating with our cyber security team to implement comprehensive network security architectures and security policies, monitor network security infrastructures, and respond to network related incidents. You will install, troubleshoot, and maintain network hardware, software, security policies, and complex network infrastructures. This position is in the Information Technology Operations (ITO) Division supporting the Field Intelligence Element (FIE) within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide architectural, operational, and troubleshooting support specifically for network security and firewall configurations as well as support for edge, core, distribution and access layers.
- Perform moderately complex to complex network administration to configure, operate, and maintain switches, routers, firewalls, and other network equipment.
- Independently evaluate, recommend, and implement network security solutions and equipment to meet customer requirements.
- Specify, configure, install, and troubleshoot network equipment and monitoring tools.
- Collaborate with management, customers, and team members to ensure completion of project deliverables.
- Provide technical support, development, and maintenance of network configurations aiming to reduce the effort needed to deploy and maintain systems and expertise regarding networks toward long-term objectives for server consolidation, virtualization, and compliance with industry and cyber security standards.
- Train and mentor less experienced team members in network security and responsibility.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 Level
- Design advanced, customized networks, collaborating with customers.
- Diagnose and resolve complex network problems.
- Develop complex security, monitoring, and management solutions for program specific needs.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire. Also, you must have the ability to obtain and maintain Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access. Please note that your current active Q or Top Secret clearance with DOE or another agency does not guarantee DOE SCI access approval; if you are denied access, you may be subject to reinvestigation of your existing Q or Top Secret clearance.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, electrical engineering, or related field or an equivalent combination of education, and related experience.
- Broad experience with network security, network system design, configuration, implementation, and operation within the datacenter, campus, and internet environments.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience with firewalls and network security implementation, configuration, and management (e.g. Cisco ASA and Palo Alto Networks).
- Comprehensive knowledge of common networking protocols (e.g. IP, UDP, TCP, STP, BGP, OSPF, MPLS, Multicast, SNMP, etc.).
- Broad experience using network management tools such as Solarwinds Orion, NetMRI and proficient experience with configuration management frameworks such as Ansible, Salt, Chef, Puppet.
- Effective organizational and attention to detail skills, with the ability to multi-task effectively.
- Proficient interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills with the ability to work independently and interact with a multi-disciplinary staff in a team environment.
- Ability to work outside normal business hours in order to provide support for network security.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.3 Level
- Significant experience troubleshooting network capacity/performance problems and provide advanced architecture solutions.
- Significant experience solving problems by analyzing protocol interactions collected in packet traces, and working independently to resolve problems, develop original solutions, and configure network monitoring tools and network management tools.
- Highly advanced troubleshooting skills.
Qualifications We Desire
- Two or more vendor specialized certifications such as Cisco, Palo Alto Network, Splunk, F5, etc.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now