Refine Search Clear All
Windows Systems Administrator - ACTIVE SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIRED
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 06/18/2021
Job Code: 393.1 Systems & Network Associate / 393.2 Systems & Network Sr Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Windows Systems Administrator to provide advanced technical computer and infrastructure support for systems in this heterogeneous environment. You will work in a safety conscious, challenging, rapidly changing, and team-oriented environment to solve a variety of complex technical problems in a timely manner. This position is in the Information Technology Operations (ITO) Division within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the 393.1 or 393.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Work primarily at the main Livermore facility providing computer infrastructure operational support in a fast paced and heterogeneous environment. Provide monitoring of both Corporate and Isolated Networks and Core Infrastructure Services, such as Exchange, Active Directory, Storage Systems, Backups, VMWare Virtual Servers, DNS, DHCP, Citrix, etc.
- Provide expertise for the complex installations, perform security patching and hardware and/or software upgrades using independent judgment to resolve complex systems and network-related problems.
- Collaborate with management, customers, and team members to evaluate and recommend procurements of Windows or Appliance based hardware and software.
- Independently resolve problems, requiring highly advanced knowledge of one or more platforms (e.g., Windows, Exchange, VMWare, Active Directory, Citrix, etc.).
- Define and maintain support documentation and procedures.
- Be a team player, maintain appropriate technology, computer security, and safety knowledge, and support and represent the Infrastructure team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the 393.2 Level
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve highly complex system and network-related problems.
- Serve as a technical leader and an internal and external consultant in area of expertise, providing highly advanced technical assistance to the user community and collaborating with customers in the design of their computing environment.
- Lead projects, drive problem resolution, work with vendors, and manage cases if required.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top-Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a computer-related field or equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge and technical experience with Windows and/or Linux operating systems and/or Virtual environments and related hardware.
- Experienced with Exchange, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, Computer Security and/or Networking Protocols.
- Ability to independently set priorities and resolve complex problems in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to exercise effective customer support skills in a diverse user community with widely varying levels of computer literacy.
- Proficient interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to work independently and interact with a multi-disciplinary staff in a team environment.
In Addition at the 393.2 Level
- Highly advanced knowledge of and significant experience with Windows, and/or Linux operating systems, and/or Virtual environments and related hardware.
- Significant experience mentoring employees in technical skills.
- Significant experience serving as a technical team lead on projects, achieving positive results, and driving projects to closure on time and on budget.
- Broad in-depth knowledge and technical expertise with vulnerability remediation, system patching with enterprise support tools. Management of software distribution, computer system hardware, software, protocols, principles; Windows computer security concepts and practices and Windows operating systems.
- Professional computer certification (e.g., MCSA, MCSE, CompTIA A+) or a professional network certification (e.g., CCNA).
- Experience directing complex system troubleshooting.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now