Refine Search Clear All
NIF&PS Control Systems Section Lead
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 06/15/2021
Job Code: SEL.5 Science & Engineering TSL 5
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Either no clearance, DOE L or Q clearance depending on assignment. Clearances require U.S. citizenship and a background investigation. Uncleared positions over 179 days may require an investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Section Leader for the NIF&PS Control Systems organization. You will manage a team of 70+ computer scientists, engineers, technical associates, and technicians supporting the control systems for the National Ignition Facility (NIF) and Photon Sciences directorate. You will manage resources to support control systems development, maintenance, and operations. You will be expected to maintain a full-time programmatic project role/assignment in the NIF Directorate and will report to the NIF facility and operations managers. This position is cross posted in both the NIF Computing (NIFC) Division within the Computing Directorate, and the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at the SEL.5 level.
This position is also listed as REF852F in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Directorate.
In this role you will:
- Responsible and accountable for section budget planning, management and oversight, high-level goal setting, and strategic and succession planning efforts on long range goals, in collaboration with NIF&PS management
- Provide leadership, supervision, mentoring and technical guidance to section members in the execution of their work scope with a focus on control systems design, development, and maintenance.
- Direct and oversee the analysis and design of control systems hardware and software to support control systems solution development in the NIF&PS directorate.
- Provide solutions to highly unusual, complex, and/or sensitive issues/problems where the solution path is not known ahead of time.
- Participate in or lead formal and informal design reviews.
- Actively encourage and oversee excellent engineering practices and standards among section members.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Master’s in Science in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Expert knowledge and extensive experience in control system project management and systems engineering. Ability to champion, lead, and develop innovative cutting-edge principles, theories, and concepts.
- Extensive experience with cross-program collaboration and successfully managing parallel projects from inception to commissioning.
- Expert knowledge and extensive experience implementing process and efficiency improvements in project management and facility operations.
- Knowledge of Laboratory management and structure including supervision, policies and procedures; Directorate policies and procedures; supervision duties, such as participation in performance reviews, ranking, and salary management.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise varied internal and external audiences including senior management and sponsors.
- Extensive knowledge of NIF&PS programs and expertise in areas such as laser technologies, scientific facility operations, engineering, and production.
- Nationally recognized in one or more of the following areas: laser system operations, laser system design, pulse power, or control systems.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now