Refine Search Clear All
Electronics Technologist - Mid/Senior
Engineering | tracy, CA | 06/20/2022
Job Code: 531.2 Technologist-Electronics / 531.3 Sr Technologist-Electronics
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Electronics Technologists/Sr. Electronics Technologists. You will support new and on-going experiments for various programs at LLNL’s Site 300 (in Tracy, CA). These positions are in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED)/Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program, supporting the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide general electronic technical support to engineering, scientific, and technical staff to plan and conduct experiments at LLNL and other off-site locations and ensure operational readiness of WTE facilities.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble moderately complex electronic components and systems, using work control process and procedure requirements.
- Operate electronic diagnostic equipment, maintain area controls, assist with electronic diagnostic calibration and alignment, test prior to experiment execution, and perform data recovery after experiment execution.
- Prepare and maintain systems documentation and experimental records.
- Perform facility related and technical functions such as maintenance, testing, upgrades to equipment control, and interlock systems checks.
- Responsible for ensuring that support and experimental areas are kept clean, uncluttered, and in a state of readiness.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the 531.3 level
- Provide advanced technical assembly and disassembly support of complex weapons systems and author operational procedures and technical documents.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble complex electronic components and systems including planning, equipment selection, and methods.
- Identify, analyze, and provide solutions and alternate approaches to complex electronic problems using independent creativity and judgment.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in Electronics, Engineering Technology, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with electrical diagnostic equipment, maintaining area controls, assisting with electronic diagnostic calibration and alignment, testing prior to experiment execution, and performing data recovery after experiment execution.
- Ability to read and follow engineering notes, sketches, drawings, specifications, and procedures.
- Intermediate knowledge of engineering hardware design and testing processes.
- Experience in general fabrication processes with the ability to operate hand/power tools.
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and other protective equipment, and perform moderate work while wearing full-face or half-mask respirators, and ability to maintain required qualifications and certifications (i.e. Explosives Handler, Rad Worker (II), Beryllium Worker, and Human Reliability Program (HRP)).
Additional qualifications at the 531.3 level
- Significant related experience in electronic circuits, systems, theory, and design.
- Advanced technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures and the ability to interpret and execute complex assembly procedures from engineering notes, sketches, drawings, and other technical material.
- Effective written and verbal communication, feedback, and presentation skills.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working with classified materials and experimental data and/or experience as working with high explosives and initiation systems.
- Experience working with and/or around high-voltage and high-current equipment and experience with optical, radiographic, and electronic diagnostic equipment.
- Experience working with fiber optics, hands on experience with single mode and multimode fibers, knowledge of optical transmissions and timing fiber optics.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.