Refine Search Clear All
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 04/21/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values
and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives.
This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have openings for experienced Java and Database Developers to work on the Control System for the National Ignition Facility (NIF), the largest and most energetic laser in the world. Under minimal supervision, you will work in a multi-disciplinary team environment to develop new database backed applications and maintain a variety of existing applications in Java. These positions are in the NIF Computing Division (NIFC) within the Computing Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will:
- Architect, design, implement and maintain new and existing complex database backed applications in Java, used by the National Ignition Facility (NIF) to configure shots.
- Execute the full software development lifecycle from requirements definition through implementation, manual and automated testing, deployment and commissioning.
- Interface with developers and end users to gather application requirements and dependencies.
- Utilize industry standard software engineering techniques including object-oriented analysis, design, and coding patterns.
- Design and document complex technical database schema and develop Java applications and SQL scripts to support retrieval, storage and viewing of data used by the NIF control system.
- Actively participate in technical team design and code reviews and maintain software configuration control and may have some lead responsibilities.
- Represent the organization as a primary technical contact on tasks and projects and serve on internal technical/advisory committees.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 Level
- Research and provide in-depth analysis to advance the architecture of the control system and lead formal code design reviews.
- Develop, design, implement complex software; develop and execute test plans, and conduct Failure Modes and Effects Analysis.
- Mentor team members in areas of expertise and assist in recruiting.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad experience with object-oriented design and development with Java and/or C++.
- Experience in SQL and database schema design supporting transaction-oriented applications, and using Software Engineering best practices and tools.
- Experience in the use of software programming in configuration management environments (e.g., CVS, Git, Jira, BitBucket).
- Broad experience working with customers to gather requirements and support deployed applications in a collaborative multi-disciplinary team environment which may include scientists, engineers, technicians, and designers.
- Ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.3 Level
- Significant experience designing, developing, deploying, and troubleshooting large scale software applications in a production environment.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
- Java GUI development experience using SWING/AWT.
- Experience in Oracle RDBMS and related products/tools such as PL/SQL, Hibernate etc.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.