Refine Search Clear All
Industrial Ventilation Engineer
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 03/28/2022
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Industrial Ventilation Engineer to participate in designing, redesigning, and optimizing new and ongoing projects associated with systems, structures, and components at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL). This position will be assigned to the Safety Engineering Functional Area (SEFA) and will provide technical expertise and support to multiple clients as an integral member of the Environment, Safety, and Health (ES&H) Directorate.
This position will be filled at the level based on knowledge and related experience, as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Guide the successful completion of projects and contribute to the development of organizational goals and exerts significant influence on major organizational objectives.
- Represent the organization as the technical resource on tasks and projects and serve on internal technical/advisory committees and may serve on external committees.
- Research, design, and redesign mechanical ventilation equipment for both large and small projects, to include structural, thermal, hydraulic, or dynamics modeling of mechanical systems.
- Develop and oversee all aspects of production including room and equipment layout, computer modeling, selection of suitable manufacturers and equipment, performance testing, and installation of products and systems.
- Conduct technical or operational tasks projects and/or support research efforts and provide technical strategy and direction for self and/or others.
- Provide solutions; to complex issues/problems that require in-depth analysis and frequent use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Prepare supporting health and safety documentation that is aligned with the Integrated Safety Management (ISM) requirement and participate in design and Management Prestart Reviews.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Provide solutions to highly complex issues/problems that require in-depth analysis of multiple tangible and intangible factors and where a high degree of ambiguity exists around techniques and approaches.
- Use independent judgment and considerable latitude to establish and accomplish objectives.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Demonstrated experience in mechanical ventilation engineering, including advanced knowledge of and aptitude toward structural design, airflow validation and management, particulate capture, control of worker exposure levels to airborne chemicals and contaminants to levels below applicable occupational exposure limits and action levels, air cooling/thermal management, thermal dynamics, fluid mechanics and heat transfer.
- Advanced application and development of technical, business, or operational principles, theories, concepts, and techniques to independently contribute to technical projects or support of programs using creativity and innovation.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills, including the ability to direct and mentor other team members.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical or operational information and provide advice to management, regulators, reviewers, and stakeholders.
- Advanced analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend and implement actions/solutions for moderately complex problems.
- Advanced experience working independently and in a team environment with a broad cross-section of people and organizations, managing complex projects, and meeting schedules.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Expert level application and development of technical, business, or operational principles, theories, concepts, and techniques to independently contribute to technical projects or support of programs using creativity and innovation.
- Subject matter expert knowledge of highly advanced concepts of mechanical ventilation design and analysis.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise senior management, external sponsors, regulators, reviewers, and stakeholders.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s or PhD in Mechanical Engineering or a related field.
- Professional Engineer license.
- Advanced knowledge of systems engineering principles and practices and their application.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.