Postdoctoral Researcher - Climate Analysis Group
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 03/15/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to work in the areas of clouds and convection with the goal of improving performance of global storm resolving models through comparison to Department of Energy Atmospheric Radiation Measurement program observations. Research topics may include the mechanistic understanding of clouds, convection and land-atmosphere interactions.
This position is with LLNL’s ASR THREAD project and will sit in the Climate Analysis Group in the Atmospheric, Earth, and Energy Division.
In this role you will
- Diagnose and improve global storm resolving models through comparison to data from ground-based and satellite observations.
- Perform modeling tasks using cloud resolving models or large-eddy simulations.
- Conduct research on the processes governing the transitions in boundary layer turbulence, clouds, convection, and land-atmosphere interaction.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed journals and present technical results at scientific conferences.
- Travel as required to coordinate research with collaborators.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Atmospheric Sciences or related field.
- Experience conducting research in atmospheric sciences or closely related fields.
- Experience and expertise in one or more of the following areas: cloud microphysics, turbulence and cloud schemes, and convective-scale modeling
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills as evidenced by published results and presentations.
- Experience collaborating effectively with a team of scientists of diverse backgrounds and ability to travel to coordinate research with collaborators.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with machine learning
- Experience with parameterization modification and development
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.