Aerosol Cloud Interaction â Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 01/19/2024
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None/Position does not require US citizenship (assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We are excited to offer an opportunity for a Postdoctoral Researcher to work in the area of aerosol-cloud interaction with the goal of improving performance of kilometer-grid-scale regional and global models. Research topics include but are not limited to mechanistic understanding of interactive processes between aerosols and clouds, direct and indirect effects of aerosols, cloud microphysics, and the diagnosis and improvement of their representations in high resolution models using observations.
This position is in the Atmospheric, Earth & Energy Division, Climate Analysis Group.
In this role you will
- Conduct research on the processes governing the variabilities in aerosols, clouds, precipitation, radiation, and their interactions.
- Analyze data from ground-based and satellite observations, and kilometer grid scale regional and global models for diagnosis and improvement.
- Perform modeling tasks using global climate models or cloud resolving models or large-eddy simulations.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed journals and present technical results at scientific conferences.
- Travel as required to coordinate research with collaborators.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Atmospheric Sciences or related field.
- Experience conducting research in atmospheric sciences or closely related fields.
- Experience and expertise in one or more of the following areas: aerosol parameterization, cloud microphysics, aerosol indirect effects, interactive processes between aerosols, clouds, precipitation and radiation
- Experience performing and analyzing model simulations on clouds, aerosols and their interaction across different temporal and spatial scales.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills as evidenced by published results and presentations.
- Experience collaborating effectively with a team of scientists of diverse backgrounds and ability to travel to coordinate research with collaborators.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with model parameterization modification and development, e.g., DOE Energy Exascale Earth System Model (E3SM)
- Experience with observational data analysis
- Experience with machine learning
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now