High-Energy-Density Plasma Spectroscopy - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 01/11/2024
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct X-ray spectroscopy experiments on high-energy-density (HED) plasmas, including laboratory astrophysics experiments on the National Ignition Facility (NIF). You will configure experiments using a suite of X-ray spectrometers covering the 0.5 to 10 keV photon energy range, analyze data, and apply the resulting spectra to test theoretical models. This position is in the Radiative Properties Group of the Physics Division within the Physical and Life Sciences (PLS) Directorate.
- Contribute to the conception, design, and execution of research to address defined problems in high-energy-density plasma physics, with a focus on laboratory astrophysics.
- Conduct experiments as a NIF and/or Omega Shot Responsible Individual (Shot RI) using various X-ray spectrometers to investigate the physics of HED plasmas.
- Document and publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Function as an independent researcher with a high level of attention to detail, while also collaborating with others in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD in plasma, atomic and/or astro-physics, or related field.
- Experience developing and fielding X-ray plasma spectroscopy experiments at medium-to-large size HED facilities (such as Omega, Z or NIF), including spectrometer and target configuration, analysis of data, and application of results to constrain theoretical models used in HED physics and/or astrophysics.
- Experience working both on research teams with individuals from diverse technical backgrounds, and also as an independent researcher with a high level of attention to detail to find innovative solutions to specific research problems.
- Demonstrated proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to work in a multidisciplinary team environment, author technical and scientific reports and publications and deliver scientific presentations.
Qualifications We Desire
- Demonstrated ability to develop novel diagnostic and experimental techniques in high-energy-density plasma science.
- Demonstrated ability to develop innovative data analysis methods to better understand X-ray spectra measured using crystal or grating spectrometers with film, image plate, framing camera and/or hybrid complementary metal-oxide semiconductor (hCMOS) detectors.
- Documented publication record in peer-reviewed literature.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.