Physics Division Graduate Student - Summer 2024
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 10/10/2023
Job Code: 705.2 Grad Student R&D/Technical / 712.0 Intern Exempt
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None/Position does not require US citizenship (assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$6,200/mo to $7,520/mo
This position is a step structure. Please note that the step placement is determined by academic level. If selected transcripts will be required.
We have multiple openings for graduate students and for students who have received a bachelor’s or master’s degree to engage in practical research experience to further their educational goals. Opportunities include participation in projects lead by LLNL scientists in the research areas including: Applied Physics (Optical and X-Ray Imaging, Astrophysics and Planetary Science (laboratory-based and observational), Space Science Vehicles & Sensors); Condensed Matter Physics (Theory, Modeling & Simulation, Experimental Static & Dynamic High Pressure Physics, Quantum Computing & Sensing); High Energy Density Physics (Experimental Laser and Magnetically-driven compression, Theory, Modeling and Simulation of HED states) ; and Plasma and Fusion Energy Science (Fusion Energy Modeling & Simulation, Tokamak development experiments & diagnostics, Applications of Plasma Science). These positions are in the Physics Division of the Physical & Life Sciences Directorate.
- Work with scientists conducting research in experiments, theory or modeling simulation, and materials modelling.
- Conduct research in assigned area under limited direction and supervision.
- Perform scientific assignments at an appropriate level complexity and work collaboratively on scientific research and development projects.
- Analyze results and provide weekly updates.
- Present work through presentations and/or poster sessions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree or have completed a bachelor’s or master’s degree in a field of science, engineering or an equivalent.
- Demonstrated academic achievement in Physics or related field.
- Experience applying basic physics principles to solve technical problems.
- Effective communication skills.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Knowledge in Materials Science/Physics/Applied Mathematics/Applied Sciences.
- Knowledge of modern computer-based data analysis approaches, summarizing and presenting results.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with modern high-performance computing systems.
- Experience with modern high-pressure experimental platforms and associated diagnostics.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Holiday Pay
- Sick leave accrual
- Individual 401(k) contributions
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.