Environmental, Safety & Health | lasvegas, NV | 08/17/2023
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2 / TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$113,730 - $175,272 Annually
$113,730 - $146,076 Annually for the TSS.2
$136,500 - $175,272 Annually for the TSS.3
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening in the Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) Directorate for a Health Physicist to provide comprehensive health physics (HP) support for various LLNL program activities at the Nevada National Security Site (NNSS). This position will also provide basic support in the areas of industrial hygiene (IH) and industrial safety (IS). Working as part of the Joint Laboratory Office – Nevada (JLON) team, you will interact with all levels of personnel and management from the ES&H Directorate, LLNL programs, NNSS Management & Operating Contractor counterparts and external regulatory agencies.
This position will be filled at either the TSS.2 or TSS.3 level, depending on the skills and experience of the selected candidate. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if the candidate is hired at the higher level.
- Meet requirements for and maintain qualification to perform as an LLNL health physicist at NNSS.
- Engage with LLNL program personnel to understand radiological activities and ensure the Radiation Protection Program is effectively implemented. Assess hazards and ensure appropriate controls are identified, adequately documented, and communicated. Monitor changes and routine operations by performing regular field visits and facility inspections to assure continued adequacy of controls. Update and clearly communicate needed changes to affected personnel.
- Act as the point of contact for the LLNL radiological control organization in interactions with LLNL workers and management, NNSS support personnel, other organizations and DOE staff.
- Review and make necessary updates/recommendations to Facility Safety Plans, Work Control Documents, Radiological Work Permits, Safety Analysis Reports, Engineering Designs, ES&H submittals and other technical documents in collaboration with program management and other support organizations.
- Review personnel, area, and other monitoring data and take timely actions to address emerging issues. Participate in incident investigations and emergency response support to incidents on site.
- Participate in multi-organizational activities and forums such as internal audits, and the NNSS Radiological Control Council and ALARA Committee.
- Acquire and maintain basic IH/IS knowledge to support program personnel where needed. Reach back to IH/IS SMEs at the home lab as necessary for additional guidance and directions.
- Provide HP/IH/IS briefings and training to program customers, develop and present safety courses, and/or mentor less experienced personnel. Provide feedback to management regarding the effectiveness of the HP/IH/IS programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition, at the TSS.3 Level
- Represent the LLNL radiological control organization in all interactions with LLNL workers and management, NNSS support personnel, other organizations and DOE staff. May act as the LLNL Radiological Control Manager for NNSS.
- Lead active efforts to ensure the duties listed above are performed timely and as planned.
- Respond to radiological emergencies and incidents on site, lead investigations for incidents or accidents involving radiation and make recommendations to all levels of management to prevent recurrence; provide HP solutions during assessments, inspections and site verifications by internal and external agencies.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in health physics, or another related technical area, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience and ability to perform independent work.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively write, present, explain and communicate moderately complex information to all levels of personnel.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment with a broad cross-section of people and organizations, managing moderately-complex to complex projects and meeting schedules.
- Experience balancing multiple short and long-term deadlines and setting priorities.
- Analytical and computational skills including experience with computer systems, databases, and software, including Microsoft Office (e.g., Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Ability to negotiate, recommend, and implement solutions for moderately complex problems.
- Effective organizational skills with detail orientation necessary to coordinate multiple and frequently conflicting concurrent tasks in an environment with frequent interruptions while providing high-level customer service and good follow-through.
- Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory protection equipment and to secure and maintain certification in the Human Reliability Program (HRP) which includes polygraph examination, physical and psychological assessment, and random drug and alcohol testing.
In Addition at the TSS.3 Level
- Significant experience leading independent HP work, conducting hazard analysis, evaluating new health and safety standards, and providing technical direction/leadership to health and safety staff on HP related matters, and providing emergency response and participation in the investigation of incidents or accidents involving radiological hazards.
- Advanced experience in HP or a related field with thorough knowledge of related state and federal regulations and other consensus standards.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and to present and communicate technical information to all levels of management both internal and external to the Laboratory, including regulatory agencies and key stakeholders. Ability to negotiate, recommend and implement solutions to highly complex problems.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Health Physics, or another related technical area and/or Certification by the American Board of Health Physics.
- Knowledge and experience with DOE operations and transuranic isotopes.
- Knowledge and experience in Industrial Hygiene and/or Industrial Safety.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.