Senior National Security Research Analyst
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/15/2023
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Organization: Office of the Director
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$153,210 - $196,788 Annually for the SES.3 level
$183,840 - $236,112 Annually for the SES.4 Level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We’re looking for a Senior National Security Research Analyst to extensively support research efforts regarding one of the five main research thrust areas in the Center for Global Security Research (CGSR)—major power rivalry and conflict, new regional challengers and challenges, toward deterrence strategy 3.0, the future of long-term competitive strategies, and the future of cooperative strategies to reduce global dangers. The position will be under the Center for Global Security Research in the Director's Office.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Conduct research on politically significant national security topics in line with CGSR research thrust areas.
- Conduct independent research, publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the national laboratories, the U.S. Government, and the broader international security community.
- Respond to the needs of CGSR and other LLNL managers with timely, high quality, finished analyses for presentation or publication.
- Provide solutions to complex problems that require in-depth analysis.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Collaborate in the development of innovative methods and technology.
- Serve as the primary technical point of contact on tasks and projects.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Conduct technical tasks and contribute to the broader programmatic efforts of the center.
- Mentor postdocs and research associates at the center.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Provide solutions to a diverse range of highly complex problems.
- Develop innovative methods and technology to contribute to the advancement and development of innovative projects, principles and ideas.
- Direct technical tasks and projects for broach research and strategy.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD in political science, international relations, history, the physical or life sciences, engineering, regional or area studies, or a related field.
- Demonstrated track record of individual and group publications in a field aligning with CGSR research thrust areas.
- Significant experience and advanced technical knowledge in one or more of the following areas: analysis of regional or technical issues in international security, experience in U.S. foreign affairs in the executive or legislative branch, experience in the intelligence, military, academic, or the think tank communities.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
- Attention to detail, rigorous logic skills, and familiarization with advanced analytic tools and methodologies such as net assessment and analytic wargaming.
- Significant experience developing and presenting independent research projects, including publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Experience mentoring or teaching early- to mid-career professionals.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Subject matter expert knowledge of highly advanced concepts and area of research in CGSR.
- Expert level application and development of technical area.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with working with technical staff in the physical sciences and engineering.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.