Inertial Confinement Fusion and Inertial Fusion Energy Physicist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 05/23/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
$123,960.00 - $190,932.00 Annually
$123,960.00 - $159,168.00 Annually for the SES.2 level
$148,650.00 - $190,932.00 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Inertial Confinement Fusion (ICF) and Inertial Fusion Energy (IFE) Physicists aiming to improve national security through contributing to the grand challenge of studying, extending, and applying thermonuclear ignition on the National Ignition Facility (NIF), and developing IFE concepts. You will collaborate as part of an interdisciplinary team and work closely with individuals from other disciplines such as laser scientists, experimental physicists, target fabrication specialists, and NIF project scientists and engineers as well as other target designers and theorists. This position is in the Design Physics Division within the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Design, analyze and interpret NIF laser experiments in support of the effort to understand, extend, and apply ignition on the NIF.
- Perform computational and theoretical analyses that extrapolate current understanding of ignition and gain related physics to both ICF and IFE concepts.
- Design focused experiments to improve predictive capability for ICF, IFE, and to support the stockpile stewardship program.
- Successfully work as part of an interdisciplinary team on related projects and activities.
- Share results through conferences, reports/publications, and potential interactions with collaborators.
- Support plans to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion within the program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the mid-career (SES. 3) level
- Apply advanced design and computational skills to develop novel solutions to technical problems.
- Collaborate as a technical expert on multidisciplinary teams.
- Set specific technical strategies to achieve project goals.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD or equivalent level of proficiency in physics, mathematics, engineering, or related field.
- Demonstrated creativity in solving complex problems.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and experience authoring high-quality reports/publications and delivering effective technical presentations.
- Demonstrated ability/commitment to valuing diversity, equity, and inclusion principles in the workplace.
Additional qualifications at the mid-career (SES.3) level
- Advanced knowledge of physics, mathematics, engineering, or a related field such as shock hydrodynamics, solid/fluid mechanics, materials science, particle transport, radiation transport, nuclear physics, plasma physics or physical chemistry.
- Experience in leading, mentoring, and/or collaborating within teams.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills and a demonstrated record of delivering top-quality research in relevant areas of science and engineering.
Qualifications We Desire
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge, and understanding of the physics of the application space is preferred.
- Prior experience in ICF, IFE, High Energy Density (HED), or related disciplines.
- Proficiency in developing advanced technical solutions.
- Proficiency working in a multidisciplinary team-research environment, demonstrating creative and initiative in addressing challenging problems.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now