Quality Assurance Engineer - Superblock
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/23/2023
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2 / TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$113,730 - $175,272 Annually
$113,730 - $146,076 Annually for the TSS.2 level
$136,500 - $175,272 Annually for the TSS.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Quality Assurance (QA) Engineer. You will contribute to the oversight and management of Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI)’s QA programs, and the design and deployment of plans and procedures to provide assurance that WCI activities are performed in compliance with Directorate and LLNL/LLNS policies, federal, state, and local laws and regulations associated with QA programs. Your work will primarily have you performing direct observations, document reviews, conducting assessments, providing briefings, and writing reports. You will work closely with facility and programmatic customers as well as other Laboratory support organizations.
You will support WCI nuclear and non-nuclear facilities at the main site in Livermore, California. Interactions will include facility management, program management, WCI management, and external regulators such as DOE and Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board representatives. This position is in the WCI Operations Support group in the WCI Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the TSS.2 or TSS.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Conduct technical reviews, inspections, and assessments of facility and programmatic activities at WCI facilities in accordance with WCI QA standards and requirements.
- Perform tasks related to multiple assigned projects in support of WCI’s facilities and programs through the completion of procurements and inspections.
- Perform audits and assessments in a variety of complex conditions and environments, such as nuclear facility radioactive materials areas and other WCI facilities.
- Initiate and track nonconformances through closure.
- Evaluate supplier quality through the performance of reviews, audits, and assessments.
- Network with other QA professionals within LLNL organizations and the DOE Complex to better understand how to effectively implement DOE QA requirements.
- Assist with the development of new systems and processes focused on continuous improvement to ensure quality requirements are effectively implemented and ideal behaviors in the workplace are enabled.
- Promote and support plans to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion within the program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.3 level
- Serve as the primary QA technical contact that provides advanced QA engineer support services to WCI facility and programmatic organizations to assure implementation of LLNL QA program requirements in nuclear and non-nuclear facilities.
- Use independent judgment, in-depth analysis, creative methods and considerable latitude to develop solutions and establish and accomplish objectives.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U. S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s Degree in science, chemistry, engineering, or a related technical/science discipline, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with the application of quality management systems (i.e., ISO 9001, NQA-1).
- Experience providing internal or independent assessments and audits of organizations, operations, and facilities for assuring the effective and compliant implementation of quality programs.
- Decision-making skills necessary to advise, counsel, recommend and develop solutions on a wide variety of QA issues.
- Broad knowledge of non-conformance tracking systems, work control processes, metrology, and/or other related QA programs.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering design drawings and technical specifications.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, direct and coordinate self-assessment activities, and provide advice to managers and staff internal and external to WCI.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability/commitment to valuing diversity, equity, and inclusion principles in the workplace.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.3 level
- Experience working with industrial codes and standards (i.e., ASME, ASTM).
- Significant experience applying a broad understanding of scientific and technical disciplines including safety, engineering, operations, and maintenance.
- Experience with the application, development, and implementation of quality management systems (i.e., ISO 9001:2015, NQA-1 Appendix B) in areas such as technical reviews, product receipt inspections, engineering reviews, commercial-grade item dedication testing and evaluation, vendor inspections, software QA, assessments, and audits.
- Advanced verbal and written skills to effectively collaborate, present, explain, influence, and advise stakeholders and/or external sponsors.
Qualifications We Desire
- Familiarity with Department of Energy (DOE) Orders.
- Knowledge of QA requirements associated with operations in nuclear and/or non-nuclear facilities and activities.
- Experience developing and implementing performance metrics.
- Experience working in an industrial, construction or military environment with knowledge in areas such as machining, welding, electrical systems, and nondestructive testing & inspection processes (i.e., dye penetrant, ultrasonic, helium leak testing, radiography, visual weld inspection).
- Experience implementing software QA program requirements and processes.
- Familiarity with implementing suspect/counterfeit item prevention programs.
- Certified as a Lead Auditor for ISO 9001:2015 or NQA-1.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.