Lead Electrical Engineer - Active Security Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/12/2023
Job Code: SEL.3 Science & Engineering TSL 3 / SEL.4 Science & Engineering TSL 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$160,590.00 - $206,220.00 Annually for the SEL.3 level
$192,660.00 - $247,416.00 Annually for the SEL.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Lead Electrical Engineer supporting the Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) program. You will be responsible for the technical development and qualification of weapons product as a key member of the W87-1 Joint Test Assembly (JTA) Product Realization Team (PRT). You will support the PRT in ensuring that the product is defined, manufacturable, and delivered on schedule. Travel in support of programmatic deliverables is required. This position will be in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide the PRT with Electrical Engineering technical leadership design development, product realization, and qualification.
- Plan for, prepare for, lead, and execute the electrical aspects of formal and informal design reviews: Conceptual Design Review (CDR), Baseline Design Review (BDR), Final Design Review (FDR), and additional informal reviews as needed.
- Plan and oversee execution of electrical tests and analyses to ensure that requirement verification evidence is gathered and documented.
- Lead and manage electrical interfaces across multiple PRTs.
- Lead, direct, and assign work to less experienced electrical engineers while remaining cognizant of the technical goals, workload balances, and progress of group projects.
- Ensure that PRT technical risks and requirements are documented and managed.
- Represent the PRT at meetings, briefings, and committee activities both internal and external to the LLNL.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SEL.4 level
- Provide strategic technical advice for decisions made by program management and external customers based on PRT component domain expertise.
- Mentor and provide technical guidance to the staff within the W87-1 JTA PRT.
- Advise across the program as an expert in weapon design engineering, 6.X lifecycle processes, Production Agencies (PAs), PRTs and product realization, certification, and qualification work.
- Serve as program spokesperson to Laboratory management and/or peers in the Nuclear Security Enterprise.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience with Printed Wiring Board (PWB) design, simulation, and testing.
- Advanced ability to manage product development on schedule.
- Experience providing technical leadership.
- Advanced communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to promote and maintain productive relationships across programs and directorates.
- Experience working independently and responsively to changing priorities and ability to meet deadlines and keep management well informed.
- Ability to travel.
Additional qualifications at the SEL.4 level
- Subject matter expert knowledge of and significant experience with nuclear warhead design and engineering as well as Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) development.
- Understanding of best grounding and shielding practices to minimize the effects of high frequency interferences.
- Highly advanced understanding of the design process from initial concept to production and ability to develop and manage test plans and qualification of highly reliable systems.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise senior management and external sponsors.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree or PhD in Electrical Engineering or a related field.
- Advanced knowledge of systems engineering principles and practices and their application.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.