Mechanical & Control Systems Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/12/2023
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$136,500.00 - $175,272.00 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We are looking for a Mechanical & Control Systems Engineer to provide advanced technical and administrative oversight for preventive maintenance, corrective repairs, and replacement projects for building mechanical systems and controls. You will be responsible for coordinating, and scheduling of material, equipment, and workforce for required work orders and projects. This position is in the Engineering Services Division within the Infrastructure Engineering and Operations Department and may require working at Site 300 in Tracy, California.
- Provide day-to-day technical direction in the planning, engineering, maintenance, and operation of Lab building mechanical and control systems such as building HVAC and refrigeration systems, Direct Digital Control (DDC) systems, Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA), Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), etc.
- Monitor and assess building mechanical and control systems vital signs; conduct root cause failure analysis for any potential reliability and/or performance issues.
- Serve as the subject matter expert for HVAC and refrigeration control system assets which includes maintenance procedures, standards, obsolescent issues to control system software and firmware version control.
- Responsible individual for subcontracted work, technical representative on procurement team for qualifying subcontractors and purchases of HVAC/building automation systems equipment and components.
- Partner with stakeholders to develop preventive maintenance task codes to ensure high reliability while meeting operating requirements.
- Collaborate with project teams in building mechanical and control systems design reviews, equipment selection, factory acceptance tests, operations readiness review, testing, and commissioning.
- Review, analyze, and solve complex historical operating data on specific equipment and make recommendations for optimal preventive maintenance level to address reliability issues.
- Prepare technical reports and present formal presentations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline or equivalent combination of education and related experience with an emphasis on HVAC, refrigeration, and related control systems.
- Advanced work experience in maintaining, repairing, and/or replacing industrial HVAC systems and components such as water and air-cooled chillers, air handlers, refrigeration compressors, and pumps.
- Advanced work experience overseeing subcontractor work activities; advanced knowledge of OSHA procedures that pertain to subcontractors in the areas of mechanical and electrical LOTO, noise, confined space, fall protection, pressure safety requirements, and rigging and hoisting.
- Significant experience in coordinating and providing technical oversight of maintenance teams, setting a team’s goals and objectives, and ensuring objectives are met.
- Significant experience interpreting complex maintenance and construction technical performance, building codes, regulatory compliance requirements, and planning and directing maintenance and construction activities.
- Advanced knowledge of scheduling, job estimating, and planning of tasks that could affect mission activities; significant experience effectively managing multiple activities simultaneously.
- Advanced customer service and interpersonal skills including experience using tact and diplomacy to interact effectively with all levels of scientific, technical, and administrative personnel.
- Experience utilizing computers and associated software to manage CMMS work orders, purchase orders, and integrated work safety sheets.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) HVAC and refrigeration systems such as Automated Logic Corporation (ALC) control systems and Web Control Software Suites.
- Project management experience leading complex building HVAC and refrigeration systems projects.
- ASHRAE Certification(s) such as Building Energy Modeling Professional (BEMP), Certified HVAC Designer (CHD), and/or High-Performance Building Design Professional (HBDP).
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.