Business Development Executive
Executive | livermore, CA | 05/11/2023
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Office of the Director
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$148,650 - $190,932 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We’re looking for a Business Development Executive to represent LLNL in all aspects of intellectual property management, technology transfer, and industrial partnering via CRADAs (Cooperative Research and Development Agreements). You will work closely with other Business Development Executives, scientific and technical staff, principal investigators, program managers and IP attorneys to promote Laboratory inventions for commercial applications in diverse markets and will generate industry leads for a number of technology portfolios. You will lead the creation and maintenance of informational materials related to technology portfolios. This position is in the Industrial Partnerships Office (IPO) within the Director’s Office.
- Evaluate advanced technology and systems concepts in quantum computing, artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML), and related areas.
- Develop technology portfolios, marketing, and partnering/licensing strategies for the highest priority cases.
- Represent the Laboratory in its dealing with the commercial sector in both licensing and partnering agreements.
- Lead the negotiation and preparation of complex partnership and licensing agreements that may require significant technology and business expertise, including: developing negotiation strategies and recommending business and other contractual terms and conditions.
- Provide strategic business advice to Laboratory management, Principal Investigators and others on industrial partnering issues including invention disclosures, patenting, portfolio management, copyright, foreign filing, joint ownership of intellectual property, license royalties, and identification and selection of industrial partners.
- Serve as key IPO representative to the institutional committee charged with evaluating invention disclosures, make recommendations for patenting or other disposition of inventions.
- Manage assigned intellectual property portfolios, in cooperation with Directorates(s), Programs, and other stakeholders.
- Oversee activities of licensees and research partners, in coordination with IPO's Intellectual Property and Agreements Management Group.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in computing, quantum science, AI/ML or a related field or the equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of licensing strategies in computing and a clear understanding of how AI/ML technology and techniques could be deployed in the commercial marketplace.
- Ability to understand the science behind quantum computing and the ability to develop possible collaborative/commercialization models in this field.
- Experience and proficiency in constructing research relationships with and intellectual property licensing to entrepreneurs, commercial firms, and industrial consortia as a member of a technology transfer or business development team.
- Experience and demonstrated skills in managing relationships with the business community on behalf of a university, national laboratory, or other research entity.
- Understanding of current trends and business practices as they relate to technology transfer and experience with materials transfer agreements, inter-institutional agreements and issues involving joint inventorship of inventions and multi-party research collaborations.
- Advanced knowledge of and significant experience with patenting and copyright rules and processes.
- Experience effectively handling multiple priorities and complex problems simultaneously, determining priorities and resolving problems independently with short deadlines.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
- Experience and demonstrated ability to lead independent work in a project or team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Advanced degree in computing, quantum science, AI/ML or equivalent industrial experience.
- MBA, J.D., or registered Patent Agent.
- Commercial business development experience in a high-tech industry.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.