Laser Inertial Confinement Fusion Modeling Group Leader- Active Clearance Required
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 05/10/2023
Job Code: SEL.5 Science & Engineering TSL 5
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$231,150.00 - $296,868.00 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Program Group Leader (PGL) to lead and manage the Laser Inertial Confinement Fusion Modeling (LM) group composed of five teams within the Inertial Confinement Fusion (ICF) Science section of the Weapons Physics and Design (WPD) program. The Laser ICF Modeling PGL leads WPD’s effort to develop the predictive capability to enable ignition and eventually high fusion yield in the laboratory in support of the Stockpile Stewardship Program. You will lead the design teams that develops the predictive capability, designs, and analyzes laser-driven fusion experiments and help set the future direction of laser-based fusion concepts. As part of the ICF leadership team you will be jointly responsible for the development of experimental plans and the analysis of the results of these experiments. You will also be responsible for maintaining a close partnership with the code development team within WSC and with the principal line organization for designers (Design Physics Division (DPD)). This position will report programmatically to the Associate Program Director (APD) for ICF Science within WPD in the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
In this role you will
- Provide overall technical, safety, security, and administrative leadership of the LM group activities with a budget of roughly $12M.
- Peer review modeling methodologies, simulation plans, target physics designs, and extrapolations and provide mentorship of designers.
- Coordinate stockpile stewardship methodology development across ICF Science and with the broader WPD program.
- Provide leadership of the common modeling approach.
- Maintain a constructive and collaborative working relationship with the other ICF and HED Science PGLs and the ICF and HED Science APDs.
- In collaboration with the ICF Science APD, provide technical direction for the development and implementation of the LM plan including staffing and budget allocations.
- In collaboration with the ICF leadership team develop experimental and analysis plans.
- Interface with the line organizations (principally DPD) on designer staffing.
- Manage and communicate LM program objectives, accomplishments, and plans to WPD workforce, NNSA HQ, SNL, LANL, LLE and other external stakeholders.
- Conduct operations and business management in compliance with LLNS policy and procedures, contract requirements, and applicable laws and regulations.
- Develop, create, and implement plans to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion within program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top-Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- PhD in Engineering, Physics, or a related technical field or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
- Significant knowledge of inertial confinement fusion physics, design, and engineering.
- Demonstrated track record of teaming and partnering effectively to build, lead, and motivate cross-disciplinary and cross-laboratory teams to work toward programmatic and institutional goals.
- Experience managing and leading a technical portfolio, supporting large-scale projects led by others, and a demonstrated ability to deliver results.
- Demonstrated advanced problem solving, analytical, technical, organizational, and management skills, necessary to independently advise, recommend, and approve appropriate actions and implement solutions.
- Expert communication skills, both written and verbal, necessary to effectively explain, present, and advise senior management, external stakeholders, and staff.
- Demonstrated experience implementing plans that promote and value diversity, equity, and inclusion principles in the workplace.
- Ability to obtain and maintain authorization as a Derivative Classifier with knowledge of ICF.
Qualifications We Desire
- Familiarity with laser-based (NIF and OMEGA) and pulsed-power (Z-facility) ICF facilities.
- Familiarity with WCI, and the LLNL weapons physics program.
- Experience in strategic planning, and experience in decision-making to achieve overall objectives and long-range goals.
- Demonstrated track record of delivering on objectives.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Beware of Fraudulent Recruiting Advertisements. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the interview process.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now