Configuration Management Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/17/2023
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$136,500 - $183,888 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Configuration Management (CM) Engineer. You will provide technical expertise and engineering support for the Configuration Management Program in accordance with the requirements specified in DOE O 420.1C, Facility Safety, for nuclear facilities at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) main site in Livermore, California. This position is in Operations within the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Directorate.
In this role you will
- Serve as subject matter expert for the CM program to Superblock personnel; mentor and train colleagues in the policies, processes, and best practices of Configuration Management.
- Act as the central point of contact for Engineering personnel with regards to CM documentation of facility systems. Ensure system documentation (system design descriptions, configuration item data sheets, drawings, P&IDs, and panel schedules) is kept up to date by engineering personnel and that documents follow a standard format.
- Assist with locating and providing facility system documentation for users, including both issued and draft (redline) documents, using various document repositories such as ELM-U, OCE, and other records databases.
- Participate in the Superblock change control process, including categorizing change input forms, tracking change request status and reporting metrics, and providing direction for the development and maintenance of the change control records database.
- Review Superblock work control documents (WCDs) during planning to ensure that configuration management requirements are identified in the WCD (i.e., updating system documentation and procedures) and during closeout to ensure that required items have been correctly completed.
- Audit the accuracy of facility system documentation via periodic checks and walkdowns. Prepare for, respond to, and/or perform CM assessments for Superblock. Track, and assist with closing, discrepancies and deficiencies for the CM area.
- Assist with implementation for amendments to the facility safety bases (Documented Safety Analyses and Technical Safety Requirements), including development of implementation plans and serving as an implementation project manager.
- As needed, serve as the deputy for the WCI Operations Configuration Management Manager, performing supervisory duties for the CM group. Represent the WCI Operations CM Manager in monthly Superblock CM/Maintenance/Cognizant System Engineer working group meetings.
- Develop and implement plans to promote culture, diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related technical field or the equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Significant experience with engineering documentation (drawings, P&IDs, system design descriptions) from multiple engineering disciplines for an operating facility or facility under construction, ideally including field walkdowns.
- Advanced knowledge of and significant experience with operations processes related to configuration management, including work control, change control, document control, design requirements and system assessments.
- Substantial experience supporting complex technical projects and handling multiple priorities and tasks with excellent attention to detail.
- Advanced facilitation and collaboration skills necessary to interact effectively in a diverse, multidisciplinary team environment, and the ability to work independently with minimal direction as well as in a team.
- Advanced communication skills necessary to deliver effective presentations, explain technical concepts, and advise professional colleagues and/or mid-level management.
- Prior experience in a supervisory capacity.
- Demonstrated experience implementing plans that promote and value diversity, equity and inclusion principles in the workplace.
Qualifications We Desire
- Prior experience performing configuration management activities for government agencies, engineering, construction, or a related industry, especially experience related to nuclear facilities.
- In-depth knowledge of practices related to safety basis or authorization basis documentation (Documented Safety Analyses and Technical Safety Requirements).
- Experience with databases and low-code programming such as creation of automation workflows.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.