Group Leader - Quality Engineering and Project Controls - Active Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/17/2023
Job Code: TSL.4 Technical Services & Ops TSL 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$176,850 to $238,296 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Group Leader (GL) to lead the Quality Engineering and Project Controls Group. The group consists of Quality Engineers, Cost Account Managers (CAMs) and Project Controls Analysts (PCA) who are matrixed to the various LLNL programs and Directorates in both short and long-term assignments. You will focus on a broad spectrum of quality engineering, project management and project controls aimed at assuring that projects adhere to high quality, budgetary and schedule standards. The group leader will ensure the hiring and training of personnel charged with helping to ensure quality execution of mission-related projects. This position is funded by a small fraction of effort; the majority of this GL assignment will be through direct programmatic work on projects associated with programs and operations not covered by this listing. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED), within the Engineering Directorate.
- Provide technical leadership and supervision to a diverse team of Quality Engineers, CAMs and PCAs, and monitor group member performance year-round; prepare and conduct annual performance appraisals and participate in formal ranking sessions.
- Guide group members in identifying individual performance and career goals and facilitate the matching of those goals to projects that are aligned with supported programs; mentor new employees and ensure that all employees have access to mentoring activities and career counseling resources.
- Work closely with first line supervisors to ensure technical contributions and staffing are consistent with meeting programmatic milestones, provide timely communications from the Division, and give situational guidance on an as-needed basis.
- Monitor and ensure that group members remain current on all training requirements, follow and understand Laboratory and Directorate policies and procedures, and comply with all safety and security requirements.
- Prepare and conduct annual performance appraisals with input from program contacts and participate in formal ranking sessions. Monitor group member performance and provide periodic feedback as appropriate.
- Participate in hiring and recruiting talent which will align with long term LLNL objectives.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Subject matter expertise and significant experience in quality assurance, quality engineering, or project management tools and techniques, including work planning, scheduling, cost estimating, analyzing and managing budgets, risk management, and project controls reporting.
- Demonstrated effective and constructive interpersonal skills necessary to lead a team.
- Ability to enable the success of others through leadership, mentoring, and collaboration.
- Ability to manage emotions in positive ways to communicate effectively, empathize with others, overcome setbacks, and defuse conflict.
- Significant experience working effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment and collaborating with management.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and regulators on programmatic issues, and interpret and convey Laboratory policies to employees.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of and ability to apply quality assurance principles and perform Management Self Assessments.
- Experience working effectively with other national laboratories and other sponsors.
- Significant experience as a technical/scientific leader in attracting, retaining, managing, organizing, planning, and coordinating projects with multidisciplinary teams.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.