Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/17/2023
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$103,290 - $139,128 Annually for the SES.1 level
$123,960 - $166,992 Annually for the SES.2 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Mechanical Engineers to participate in new and ongoing projects. We provide nuclear weapon engineering design expertise; systems engineering; experimental device design; fabrication and assembly; surveillance of nuclear stockpile components; engineering analysis; and engineering testing for evaluation and maintenance of the enduring and future nuclear weapon stockpile. Our engineers interface with colleagues at other National Laboratories and Production Agencies, National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), and Department of Defense (DoD) and their contractors. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate. DTED provides support to Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Programs.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Derive engineering requirements, develop conceptual designs, and perform supporting analyses of mechanical systems, test prototypes, and associated diagnostics.
- Oversee the detail design process, component part fabrication, and unit assembly.
- Prepare supporting safety and engineering documentation and participate in engineering design reviews.
- Participate in engineering testing operations, analyze results, and write reports.
- Generate detailed plans, schedules, and budgets for project activities.
- Interface with other organizations internal and external to the Laboratory to complete various projects.
- Work independently as well as a part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Provide engineering knowledge to resolve technical and programmatic issues.
- Perform independent technical tasks to provide solutions for a diverse range of moderate to complex issues.
- Select methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria to obtain results based on analysis of multiple, largely identifiable factors.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Fundamental knowledge of two or more of the following: engineering hardware design, systems engineering, manufacturing techniques, testing processes, FEA structural analysis.
- Working knowledge of and/or experience with design principles.
- Working knowledge of material properties and manufacturing methods.
- Experience working effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Experience using standard project management practices.
- Desire to work on National Security projects related to nuclear weapons and flexibility to work in different technical areas.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Broad industry experience or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of engineering hardware design, fabrication, or testing processes and ability to meet schedule and deliverables for multiple concurrent projects with a range of priorities.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field.
- Ability to interpret specifications and mechanical drawings including Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Knowledge of design applications employing high explosive materials.
- Experience working in an environment with stringent safety and security policies.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.