Signal and Image Processing Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/17/2023
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$148,650 - $200,328 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Signal and Image Processing Engineers. You will perform algorithm research, development, and implementation in the signal and image sciences. You will be responsible for the development and implementation of signal and image processing algorithms in software and/or hardware in support of Laboratory programs. Specific topics of interest include, but are not limited to, state estimation and multitarget tracking; embedded systems for digital signal processing, image and video processing; machine learning; pattern analysis; control system design and analysis; communications and radar systems; nondestructive evaluation techniques; remote sensing; radiation detection; and similar topics associated with the signal and image sciences. These positions are in the Computational Engineering Division (CED).
In this role you will
- Research, develop, and apply solutions to problems in the signal and image science that are of programmatic interest.
- Implement algorithms in software and/or hardware as appropriate.
- Maintain a close interface with programmatic and project elements to ensure effective teamwork.
- Document efforts in technical reports, publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results at scientific meetings and conferences.
- Participate in field deployments, exercises and sponsor visits.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Master’s degree in electrical engineering, statistics, mathematics or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in one or more topics within the signal and image sciences.
- Experience coding algorithms in C, C++, Matlab, Python, or similar language used in the signal and image sciences.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills enabling effective technical presentations and lucid technical reports.
- Collaboration skills that promote effective teaming environments.
- Ability to travel to customer locations and participate in field deployments and exercises.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in electrical engineering, statistics, mathematics, or a closely related field.
- Experience in leading teams in the research, development, and implementation of signal and image processing algorithms.
- Experience in crafting successful research and development proposals in the signal and image sciences.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.