Electronics Technologist/Senior Electronics Technologist - High Bay
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/16/2023
Job Code: 531.2 Technologist-Electronics / 531.3 Sr Technologist-Electronics
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$36.50 - $47.28 Hourly for the 531.2 level
$43.78 - $56.70 Hourly for the 531.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Electronics Technologists/Sr. Electronics Technologists. You will support new and on-going experiments in B131 High Bay. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED)/Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program, supporting the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide general electronic technical support to engineering, scientific, and technical staff to plan and conduct experiments at LLNL and other off-site locations and ensure operational readiness of WTE facilities.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble moderately complex electronic components and systems, using work control process and procedure requirements.
- Operate electronic diagnostic equipment, maintain area controls, assist with electronic diagnostic calibration and alignment, test prior to experiment execution, and perform data recovery after experiment execution.
- Prepare and maintain systems documentation and experimental records.
- Perform facility related and technical functions such as maintenance, testing, upgrades to equipment control, and interlock systems checks.
- Responsible for ensuring that support and experimental areas are kept clean, uncluttered, and in a state of readiness.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 531.3 level
- Provide advanced technical assembly and disassembly support of complex weapons systems and author operational procedures and technical documents.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble complex electronic components and systems including planning, equipment selection, and methods.
- Identify, analyze, and provide solutions and alternate approaches to complex electronic problems using independent creativity and judgment.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate degree in Electronics, Engineering Technology, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with electrical diagnostic equipment, maintaining area controls, assisting with electronic diagnostic calibration and alignment, testing prior to experiment execution, and performing data recovery after experiment execution.
- Ability to read and follow engineering notes, sketches, drawings, specifications, and procedures.
- Knowledge of engineering hardware design and testing processes.
- Experience in general fabrication processes with the ability to operate hand/power tools.
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and other protective equipment, and perform moderate work while wearing full-face or half-mask respirators, and ability to maintain required qualifications and certifications (i.e. Explosives Handler, Rad Worker (II), Beryllium Worker, and Human Reliability Program (HRP)).
Additional qualifications at the 531.3 level
- Significant related experience in electronic circuits, systems, theory, and design.
- Advanced level technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures and the ability to interpret and execute complex assembly procedures from engineering notes, sketches, drawings, and other technical material.
- Effective written and verbal communication, feedback, and presentation skills.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working with classified materials and experimental data and/or experience as working with high explosives and initiation systems.
- Experience working with and/or around high-voltage and high-current equipment and experience with optical, radiographic, and electronic diagnostic equipment.
- Operational experience with LabVIEW code, Wonderware InTouch software, and Modicon Industrial Programmable Logic Controllers.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.