Analytical Biogeochemist - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 03/16/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to utilize mass spectrometry for the characterization of complex mixtures of natural organic compounds from wetland field sites. You will advance our understanding of organic matter cycling by developing GC-MS, LC-MS, and other techniques to characterize the composition natural organic matter and other complex mixtures of organic compounds. This will be achieved through various extractions using columns and dialysis along with derivatization of compounds that traditionally escape GC and LC-MS detection. This position is in the Environmental Isotope Systems group of the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
- Collect and analyze wetland field samples.
- Develop novel extraction and derivatization techniques for the characterization of organic compounds.
- Build a GC-MS and LC-MS capability for the targeted and un-targeted analysis of organic compounds and natural organic matter.
- Collaborate closely with several external research partners in the areas of organic chemistry, microbiology, geochemistry, hydrology, and earth system modeling.
- Design and conduct research, pioneer experimental methodologies, interpret complex data, and be responsible for presenting results.
- Communicate effectively (verbally and written) in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Author technical and scientific reports and publications and deliver scientific presentations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Geochemistry or related field.
- Willing to do field work in wetland environments.
- Experience with operating GC-MS and/or LC-MS instrumentation.
- Experience in data mining and analysis of ‘omics data types (metabolomics, lipidomics, proteomics, etc.); applied mass spectrometry and/or other advanced analytical chemistry skillsets (e.g., NMR); or
- Biochemistry or analytical chemistry sample preparation, such as solid phase extraction, chromatography, etc.
- Proficient interpersonal skills necessary to interact professionally and productively with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff.
- Ability to develop independent research projects.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills evidenced by published works and presentations.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in terrestrial wetlands research.
- Prior experience with basic sample biochemical sample preparation such as metabolite extraction, concentration, separation, and other manipulations.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.