Senior DevOps Engineer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 03/15/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$123,960 - $166,992 Annually for the SES.2 level
$148,650 - $200,328 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
This position requires an on-site presence multiple days a week, and therefore will have limited telecommuting options).
We have an opening for a Senior DevOps Engineer. You will manage containerization infrastructure and services for systems in a heterogeneous enterprise environment to meet programmatic needs. This position is in the Enterprise Infrastructure Services Division within the Computing Directorate, in support of the Livermore Information Technology (LivIT) program.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
Business needs dictate that this position requires an on-site presence multiple days a week. Therefore, telecommuting options will be limited.
In this role you will
- Manage containerization infrastructures that span multiple NNSA sites to provide services to enterprise applications and other core infrastructure componentry in support of established service level agreements.
- Architect highly available Kubernetes containerization solutions in support of mission application needs.
- Plan and execute systems lifecycle activities for the containerization environments such as upgrades, patching, capacity management, and technology augmentation.
- Provide operational support for containerization solutions in support of customer needs, such as base image development, storage configuration, triage, security issue remediation, system documentation, and service monitoring.
- Develop automation and orchestration solutions (e.g. Shell scripting, Python, Ansible Playbooks) for containerization service administration and systems management tasks, including base image development, lifecycle changes, ongoing monitoring and maintenance, backup/recovery, and other relevant software/utilities for distributing and enforcing standard configurations, supporting patching, and deploying new software and configuration changes.
- Support the CI/CD integration requirements provided by the application development staff to ensure seamless integration with the provided containerization services.
- Collaborate with management, customers, and team members to evaluate and recommend procurements of hardware and software and provide guidance to end users for the design of their computing environments and technical solutions.
- Implement security and systems administration policy requirements such as vulnerability remediation, and system build requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 Level
- Manage multiple advanced parallel tasks and priorities of customers and stakeholders to ensure deadlines are met, while collaborating with other team members.
- Apply in-depth technical expertise to solve complex technical problems and develop solutions using judgment in determining methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria.
- Develop tools and procedures to facilitate complex automation efforts as well as cross- platform/environment monitoring solutions.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration with a concentration in Computer/Management Information Systems, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad, multi-year experience in architecting, designing, and operationally managing enterprise Kubernetes containerization services across multiple sites leveraging tools (such as RedHat OpenShift, RedHat Quay, RedHat Advance Cluster Management for Kubernetes (RHACM), Redhat Advance Cluster Security for Kubernetes, Portworx Kubernetes Storage platform, AWS EKS, Docker EE, VMware Tanzu, Rancher, etc) in support of stringent SLA agreements that stipulate narrow RTO/RPO durations to best meet service needs.
- Comprehensive knowledge of, and experience with integrating CI/CD tooling with a Kubernetes environment in support of DevOps and DevSecOps deployment paradigms.
- Significant experience in developing and leveraging automation and orchestration tooling (such as Ansible, Puppet/Chef, Python, scripting, etc) to support managing a Kubernetes containerization infrastructure.
- Broad experience interacting with computer security personnel to provide input to computer security plans, ensuring system and container image security compliance, monitoring systems for general security health, addressing security incidents and other events, and developing security configurations that meet cyber requirements.
- Comprehensive analytical skills necessary to analyze and triage moderately complex containerization systems and networks.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Ability to work on a rotational on-call schedule (NOTE: This position requires an on-site presence multiple days a week, and therefore will have limited telecommuting options).
Additional Qualifications at the SES.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge of and significant experience in the above technical languages, concepts, or constructs.
- Significant experience with security targets/configuration standards (CIS, STIGs or equivalent)
- Professional Certifications (e.g., CompTIA A+, RedHat RHCSA, Ansible, AWS).
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working in a compliance-driven and secure environment, as well as project management experience with large enterprise application infrastructure implementations.
- Experience in leveraging agile project management methodologies.
- Experience leveraging commercial cloud services to deploy enterprise application infrastructures.
This is a Flexible Term appointment, which is for a definite period not to exceed six years. If final candidate is a Career Indefinite employee, Career Indefinite status may be maintained (should funding allow).
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.