Sustainability Metering Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/15/2023
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$136,500 – $183,888 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Sustainability Metering Engineer. You will provide coordination support in the execution of multiple operational, preventive, and corrective maintenance, oversight and management of the energy and water metering program, troubleshooting complex systems, and sustainability reporting including developing and maintaining moderately complex status reporting. This position is in the Infrastructure Maintenance Utilities Department (IMUD) and may require work at Site 300 in Tracy, California.
- Oversee and maintain the electric, natural gas, and water metering program in the Mechanical Utilities Division (MUD).
- Gather energy and water metering data to support preparation of monthly energy and water balance reports to track and trend energy and water use on site and develop efficiency measures to implement.
- Acquire a working knowledge of both internal and external software required to effectively gather metering data required for analysis and reporting.
- Provide independent support to other engineering staff or outside contractors as required to troubleshoot and resolve complex metering schemes and implement needed repairs necessary to accurately record energy and water consumption data.
- Collaborate with other staff members to understand metering needs, and energy and water use specifics at the Laboratory and independently address areas of concern with appropriate follow up.
- Lead and serve as a resource in daily routine matters and serve as resource on organizational policies and procedures.
- Lead preventive, corrective, and deferred maintenance projects, Master Equipment List (MEL) and Condition Assessment (CAIS) with IMUD Systems Engineers and Supervisors to ensure accuracy and provide recommendations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline or the equivalent combination of education and significant related experience and demonstrated ability to lead independent work.
- Experience with energy management software and energy management systems.
- Advanced experience gathering, analyzing, evaluating, and interpreting data (e.g., metering data, energy savings, life cycle analysis, tracking current project progress status, preventive maintenance, deferred maintenance).
- Advanced knowledge of complex metering schemes, maintenance, and operation of mechanical utilities and working knowledge of mechanical utilities operations, construction projects, and terminology.
- Experience in an operating construction facility or project management environment.
- Demonstrated strong computer skills using related software for spreadsheet and word processing necessary to develop and implement specialized reporting requests.
- Demonstrated advanced problem solving and decision-making skills to anticipate, identify, and independently recommend appropriate actions and solutions to moderately complex problems.
- Experience facilitating functional business processes by providing a clear understanding and communicating expectations.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical or operational information and provide advice to management, regulators, reviewers, and personnel of all levels.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with Itron MV90xi and Energy Hippo EEM Suites meter data management software.
- Significant experience with MS Office using Excel spreadsheets, Word, PowerPoint.
- Experience with Microsoft Project or Primavera software.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.