Lithium Purification, Processing and Consolidation - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 03/15/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research in refinement of lithium compounds. You will participate in the research of hydrometallurgical and/or pyrometallurgical methods for purifying lithium compounds. You will explore processing of lithium a solute, powder and/or molten material for a variety of applications. This position is in the High Performance Materials group of the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Conduct broad research in the refinement, processing and/or manufacturing of lithium materials for a variety of applications.
- Develop separation techniques for the refinement and purification of various lithium materials through hydrometallurgical and/or pyrometallurgical processes.
- Design experiments for removal of trace impurities or process contaminants from lithium compounds. Prepare samples for chemical analyses and interpret the results.
- Contribute to and participate in the conception, design and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Pursue independent but complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Maintain and establish laboratory protocols.
- Document research; publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community and at conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science and Engineering or a related field.
- Experience with safe handling of caustic, reactive, hazardous materials.
- Experience working with a variety of laboratory equipment (e.g. chemical fume hoods, gloveboxes, filtration pump systems, furnaces, vacuum and gas flowing systems).
- Knowledgeable in a variety of analytical and/or characterization methods (e.g. Titration, ICP-MS, SEM/EDS, XRD, FTIR, Neutron Activation Analysis, Gamma Ray Spectrometry).
- Ability to develop independent research projects through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills as reflected in effective presentations at seminars, meetings and/or teaching lectures.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with solvent extraction, ion exchange, electrolysis, or precipitation methods.
- Experience working with hazardous/combustible materials, fine-powders, or flammable gases.
- Experience with powder handling, characterization or rheometry.
- Experience in sintering or consolidation of powders in furnaces or presses.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.