CAMS Ion Implantation - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 03/15/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to play a major role in the development and application of high energy ion implantation to solve materials challenges in support of LLNL’s national security mission. This position is in the Center for Accelerator Mass Spectrometry (https://cams.llnl.gov) group with the Atmospheric, Earth, and Energy Division of the Physical and Life Science Directorate.
In this role you will:
- Utilize high voltage particle accelerators to conduct ion implantation experiments to emulate radiation damage effects in critical materials related to nuclear weapons, fusion energy, and radiation detectors.
- Develop novel methods, such as simultaneous multi-beam irradiation, for performing ion implantation coupled with in-situ characterization techniques.
- Prepare and conduct technical presentations for internal and external audiences.
- Document research, publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community and at conferences.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in Nuclear Engineering, Nuclear Physics, Radiochemistry, Materials Science, or a related field.
- Hands on experience operating and maintaining high voltage accelerators and related instrumentation (e.g., ion sources).
- Experience designing and conducting ion beam experiments including a working knowledge of how ions interact with matter and affect materials properties.
- Hands-on experience with in-situ characterization techniques used with ion beam irradiation experiments.
- Ability to perform independent research, find innovative solutions and produce significant accomplishments to complex scientific and technical problems.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to work in a multidisciplinary team environment, author technical and scientific reports and publications and deliver scientific presentations.
- Documented publication record in peer-reviewed literature and /or experience presenting research results to a large audience.
- Ability to work unescorted off hours in an accelerator facility.
Qualifications we desire
- Familiarity with computer models related to ion beams (e.g., charged particle optics, ion energy loss and range, etc.).
- Experience with materials characterization techniques such as Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM), x-ray scattering, nanoindentation, etc.
- Experience handling radioactive materials.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.