Colloid Science/Microencapsulation Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/14/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$123,960.00 - $166,992.00 Annually for the SES.2 level
$148,650.00 - $200,328.00 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for an engineer with experience in surface chemistry, interfacial science, micro/nano-fabrication, microencapsulation of fluids and/or microfluidics. You will study the use of surfactants for interface stability. You will utilize existing methods and develop new microencapsulation methods for various applications. You will characterize the rheological and interfacial properties of single and multiphase fluid systems. These positions are in the Materials Engineering Division (MED) within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Conduct research in and development of one or more of the following areas: nanoparticle synthesis, microencapsulation, microfluidic device design and operation, process scale up and optimization.
- Design, implement, and analyze techniques in one or more of the above areas.
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design, and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Duties at the SES.3 level
- Independently resolve technical objectives and criteria to satisfy project objectives and execute the appropriate technical approaches.
- Apply advanced technical knowledge and methodologies to guide the successful completion of project and organizational goals and serve as the primary technical contact on tasks and projects.
- Collaborate with technical area leaders, project leaders, and program management to represent technical capabilities and project results to internal management and external sponsors.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Master’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Material Science or related field or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge and broad experience with one or more of the following areas: Colloidal & interface science, microfluidics, polymer chemistry, nanomaterials, surface science, mechanics of materials & characterization, micro/nano-fabrication processes, additive manufacturing/3D printing.
- Ability as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution.
- Ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Ability to display initiative and interpersonal skills necessary to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Significant experience working effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Experience using standard project management practices and proven ability to meet schedule and deliverables for multiple concurrent projects with a range of priorities.
- Experience leading project teams, exhibiting a proficiency in interpersonal interactions and the ability to solve problems as they arise.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD degree in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Material Science or related field.
- Experience with liquid metals.
- Experience with polymer resin formulation.
- Experience with designing, fabricating, and testing microfluidic devices.
- Experience with LabVIEW, MATLAB, and/or python.
- Experience with analytic and computational modeling and simulation.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now