Tech/Sr. Tech - Mechanical Technologist/Sr. Technologist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/14/2023
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical / 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$36.50 - $47.28 Hourly for the 533.2 level
$43.78 - $56.70 Hourly for the 533.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for general Technologists/Senior Technologists in the Materials and NDE Section within the Materials Engineering Division (MED). You will support ongoing programmatic activities independently or working with engineers/scientists/technical staff. Tasks may include, but are not limited to, design of fixtures and assemblies; equipment set up and operation; general troubleshooting and maintenance; minor modification of hardware and software; and basic fabrication utilizing common tools and equipment. You will work with test equipment including digital voltmeter and oscilloscope. These positions are in the Materials Engineering Division (MED) within the Engineering directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide general technical support applying fundamental knowledge of fabrication, assembly, installation, and system operation under general supervision.
- Fabricate, assemble/disassemble mechanical components and systems, while following procedures with defined requirements.
- May be required to meet and maintain qualification criteria in a technical or engineering discipline necessary for programmatic operations, maintenance, or other general requirements.
- Use moderately complex mathematics and geometrical concepts to produce shop level drawings for fabrication of test hardware.
- Operate machine shop and hand tools to fabricate tooling in support of programmatic experiments.
- Apply general knowledge of relevant technologies and processes, including interpreting and utilizing laboratory equipment to solve hardware or system malfunctions.
- Maintain documentation of systems and experimental records.
- Perform general facility related and technical functions such as maintenance, testing, and upgrades to equipment.
- Follow and adhere to written, operational, and safety procedures including practicing good housekeeping in experimental, work, and office areas and perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 533.3 level
- Provide advanced technical support using appropriate materials and processes to design and fabricate materials/components/operations for complex systems under minimal supervision.
- Regular, independent interaction with project leads, scientists, engineers, and technical personnel to identify, evaluate, and analyze requirements and processes.
- Set priorities, schedules, and requirements to solve complex mechanical and operational problems.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in engineering, mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing technology, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience; or a technology related certificate or diploma with related work experience and related course work; or equivalent combination of education and experience in a technical or engineering field that includes mechanical training.
- Intermediate skills and experience using general hand tools such as hand-held/stationary drills and grinders, and precision measurement equipment such as torque wrenches calipers, micrometers, and height gages.
- Ability to work with general machine shop equipment e.g., mills, lathes, and cutting equipment.
- Familiarity with Computer Aided Design (CAD) software for shop fabrication drawings.
- Possess effective written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively.
- Experience with personal computers and associated software (Microsoft Office Suite)
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment.
Additional qualifications at the 533.3 level
- Advanced knowledge of general manufacturing techniques.
- Significant experience operating and maintaining conventional and NC equipment.
- Experience with complex mechanical fabrication and assembly.
Qualifications We Desire
- Familiarity with G-code/CNC programming and vacuum/gas pressure systems.
- Familiar with reading and interpreting ANSI 14.5Y mechanical drawings.
- Knowledge of additive manufacturing/electronics technology.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.