Plasma Physics - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | princeton, NJ | 03/14/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Research Staff Member in the field of edge plasma physics for magnetic fusion energy devices. You will apply expertise in numerical simulation in collaboration with experimental teams to understand problems in edge plasmas of spherical tokamaks. The research aims to develop new edge transport and plasma-surface interaction models and perform numerical simulations that will guide experiments in the National Spherical Tokamak Experiment Upgrade. This position is in the Spherical Tokamak Boundary Physics group, Fusion Energy Sciences Program of the Physics Division. The primary work location will be at Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory in Princeton, New Jersey.
In this role you will
- Conduct research in the area of edge plasma simulations and provide physics understanding of results.
- Conduct data analysis and comparison with edge two-dimensional multi-fluid codes.
- Work as a team member to compare simulation and existing experimental data.
- Develop and implement new physics models.
- Document and publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Plasma Physics or a related field.
- Knowledge of basic plasma physics and numerical simulation methods.
- Documented publication record in peer-reviewed literature and experience presenting research results to a large audience.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to work in multidisciplinary team environment, author technical and scientific reports and publications, and deliver scientific presentations.
- Experience working independently and in a team environment to achieve program goals in a timely fashion.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of edge plasmas in fusion devices, familiarity with edge plasma diagnostic techniques and atomic physics.
- Experience with large edge plasma codes, e.g., UEDGE, SOLPS, EDGE2D, EMC; experience with data analysis programming languages, such as Python and IDL.
- Knowledge of tokamak operation and interpretation of experimental data.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.