Machine Learning Graduate Student Intern - Fall Internship
Engineering | livermore, CA | 11/22/2022
Job Code: 705.3 Grad Student Computer Prof
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for graduate level student who received a bachelor’s or master’s degree to engage in practical research to further their educational goals. You will provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of machine learning, accelerator physics, electrical engineering, computer science or other related fields. These positions are within the accelerator operations group of the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Students will work with scientists, engineers and technical staff members to provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of machine learning, accelerator simulation or other related fields.
- Contribute to documentation, testing, creation or modification of Laboratory software, hardware or Computer operating systems.
- Under limited direction and supervision, will conduct research in assigned area.
- Perform technical assignments of basic degree of complexity and provide technical support to scientists in scientific research and development projects.
- Present work through presentations and/or poster sessions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree in physics, computer science, electrical engineering or a related field.
- Experience applying advanced data analysis, machine learning, or circuit simulations to solve technical problems.
- Ability to conduct research and present and communicate concepts and ideas including research project(s), document work and give a technical talk/presentation.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Academic achievement in engineering, scientific and/or technical curriculum.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Qualifications We Desire
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.