Refine Search Clear All
Motor Carrier/Transportation Regulatory SME
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 05/11/2022
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2 / TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Motor Carrier/Transportation Regulatory Subject Matter Expert (SME) to provide comprehensive Motor Carrier/Transportation support to LLNL programs and operations requiring a broad application of practices and regulatory requirements and to monitor compliance within Packaging and Transportation (P&T) activities occurring across LLNL, which include many different types of hazardous materials (e.g. nuclear, radioactive, high explosives, chemical, biological, etc.). In this role you will work within the P&T Safety Functional Area (PTSFA) to assist the PTSFA Manager with regulatory interpretation, institutional development of PTSFA procedures, and flow down of requirements to Work Control Documents (WCDs) for activities that contain motor carrier tasks. This position is in the in the PTSFA within the ES&H Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Interpret regulatory requirements related to DOE Orders 460.1D, 460.2A, 461.1C, 414.1 and 49 CFR Parts 100-185 Hazardous Material Regulations and Parts 350-399 Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, functioning as the SME in support of the Packaging and Transportation Safety Functional Area (PTSFA).
- Independently assist operations organizations with the implementation of motor carrier requirements in work authorization/control documents, this includes but is not limited to the following: review of work authorization/control documents, walk-downs of work areas and work equipment, observation of work activities and creation of control sets for motor carrier/transportation activities/operations.
- Perform assessments/inspections of organizations to ensure adequate implementation and understanding of motor carrier/transportation requirements.
- Interact with LLNL research scientists, engineers, program managers, on program and cross-organizational P&T compliance issues/questions.
- Review PTSFA, institutional and programmatic documents and procedures for technical accuracy and compliance with regulatory issues and make change recommendations as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.3 level
- Guide the successful completion of projects, contribute to the development of organizational goals and exert significant influence on major organizational goals.
- Direct highly complex technical tasks and contribute to multi-disciplinary teams to solve motor carrier/transportation issues.
- Represent PTSFA as the primary customer contact and technical resource on tasks and projects.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in scientific, technical, health and safety, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education, skills and related technical experience.
- Proficient verbal, written, and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment when reviewing and evaluating documents and present and explain technical/regulatory or operational information.
- Effective organizational skills with detail orientation necessary to coordinate multiple and frequently conflicting concurrent tasks in an environment with frequent interruptions while providing high-level customer service and good follow-through.
- Comprehensive knowledge of local, State and Federal regulations such as the Department of Energy (DOE), Department of Transportation (DOT), Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), International Air Transport Association (IATA) or the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) and other consensus standards.
- Experience using independent judgement, decision-making, creative and innovative problem-solving skills in order to develop solutions to a diverse range of moderate to complex issues in operational areas with respect to implementation of regulatory requirements.
- Broad experience performing assessments of operations for compliance with work instructions, institutional requirements and local, state and federal regulations.
- Experience applying regulatory knowledge to operational situations.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.3 level
- Advanced knowledge of local, State, and Federal hazardous materials packaging, transportation and motor carrier regulations and other consensus standards.
- Experience responding to hazardous materials motor carrier and transportation emergencies and incidents on site, participate in the investigation of P&T incidents or accidents involving hazardous materials and make recommendations for corrective actions related to these incidents or accidents.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to collaborate in a team environment for synergy. Present and communicate complex technical information to all levels of management, laboratory personnel, regulatory agencies, and key stakeholders.
Qualifications We Desire
- DOT HAZMAT certification and FMCSA Motor Carrier certification.
- Experience in motor carrier/transportation operations that include hazardous materials including, radioactive and/or explosive materials.
- Experience applying various Human Performance Improvement tools for both individuals and work teams (e.g., procedure use and adherence, place-keeping, pre-job briefings, etc.).
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.