Refine Search Clear All
Linux Systems Engineer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 05/09/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Linux Systems Engineer. You will provide technical computer support for systems in a heterogeneous enterprise environment to solve a variety of moderately complex technical problems in a timely manner. This position is in the Information Technology Solutions Division (ITSD) working as part of the LivIT Workforce Enablement Team within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Design, develop, and implement Linux-based shared services (DHCP, BIND DNS, NTP) in a Hybrid-Cloud environment leveraging both on-premise physical/virtual and cloud-based AWS (EC2, EKS, S3, EBS, etc.) or Azure infrastructure/services using containers (Docker/Kubernetes).
- Perform service and application integration, automation, configuration, and software development.
- Contribute to service architecture requirements, design, roadmaps, and work cross-functionally for implementations.
- Provide service/application/infrastructure lifecycle support, documentation, knowledgebase articles leveraging ITIL processes, collaborate on cross-training across all supported services.
- Identify deficiencies in current system designs and recommend solutions. Identify system scaling limitations and recommend and implement improvements.
- Investigate, evaluate, and recommend emerging technologies to improve service, reduce cost, and improve scalability.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Manage multiple advanced parallel tasks and priorities of customers and stakeholders to ensure deadlines are met, while leveraging team members’ skills.
- Apply in-depth technical expertise to solve complex technical problems and develop solutions using judgment in determining methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria.
- Develop tools and procedures to facilitate complex automation efforts as well as cross-platform/environment monitoring solutions.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration with a concentration in Computer Information Systems, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad experience of Linux administration and fundamentals with knowledge of one or more of the following: TCP/IP networking, CIDR/subnetting, and Anycast.
- Experience or knowledge with one or more of the following technologies: BIND DNS, DHCP, NTP, SNMP, HTTP, Kerberos, Nagios, IPAM, IPv6, Splunk, Nagios, ServiceNow, RHEL7, RHEL8, MariaDB, Jenkins.
- Experience or knowledge of the software development lifecycle (SDLC) including one or more of the following: source control, software automation, configuration management, performance tuning/monitoring, troubleshooting, packaging, and systems integration.
- Experience with virtualization technologies (e.g., Linux KVM, Docker/Kubernetes containers or Cloud technologies such as Azure/AWS)
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Ability to support critical systems off-hours as needed and as part of a regular 24/7 on-call rotation.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Significant experience in all phases of the software development lifecycle.
- Significant experience with security and configuration standards (CIS, STIGs or equivalent).
- Experience as a technical project leader.
Qualifications We Desire
- Database installation and management experience (e.g., MySQL, MariaDB, Oracle, or PostgreSQL).
- Professional Certifications (e.g., RedHat RHCSA, Ansible, AWS, python).
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.