Refine Search Clear All
Experimental Electrical Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/19/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Electrical Engineer to help with development, integration, testing, and fielding of electrical and optical diagnostic systems for a wide range of research programs aiding in the national security of the country. You will be technically responsible for carrying out a range of duties including design of analog and digital electrical circuit, simulation, integrating components and/or subsystems and programming of these subsystems. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop conceptual designs of moderately complex to complex electrical systems, test prototypes, and associated diagnostics.
- Develop, design, integrate and test cross-timing systems for various moderately complex to complex experiments.
- Perform circuit simulations to verify system performance and functionality.
- Contribute to the detailed design process, oversee fabrication, and unit assembly of electrical systems.
- Generate and review electrical system documentation (schematics, cable diagrams, wiring diagrams, timing diagrams, simulation/analysis results, safety plans, test plans and results).
- Participate in the production of system specifications, design documentation, simulated system performance, test plans, tested hardware and software, and participate in design reviews.
- Prepare supporting safety and engineering documentation and participate in engineering design reviews.
- Participate in engineering testing operations, analyze results, and write reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Set specific technical strategy and may monitor or direct activities as task lead.
- Establish project objectives and timelines.
- Apply advanced technical theories, concepts, and techniques to develop novel solutions to critical mission needs.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field or the equivalent combination of education and relevant previous experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Electromagnetic Interference (EMI)/Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) and grounding and shielding of electrical systems.
- Comprehensive knowledge of fundamental electrical engineering concepts related to assembly, calibration, and testing of analog and digital electrical systems.
- Experience with SPICE or similar circuit simulation software.
- Experience with microcontrollers, FPGA hardware, and associated software and simulation tools.
- Experience in technical computing (e.g., simulation development, signal and image processing) using platforms such as MATLAB or Python.
- Ability to learn unique design requirements for electrical systems that involve both high voltage and high explosives.
- Proficient communication skills with proven ability to present concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner, both verbal and written for presentation and interaction with other technical staff members. Ability to effectively work in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to travel.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Advanced knowledge in the domains of Instrumentations, Microwave RF or related fields.
- Significant experience developing and integrating electrical engineering solutions.
- Experience leading independent work, including established objectives and timelines.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field.
- Knowledge of LABVIEW for hardware control and instrumentation applications.
- Knowledge of design applications for high voltage systems and/or experiments requiring nanosecond-level timing.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.