Refine Search Clear All
Communications Manager/Senior Communications Manager
Public Affairs/Communications | livermore, CA | 04/14/2022
Job Code: G04.4 Tech Communications Spec 4 / G04.5 Tech Communications Spec 5
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Communications Manager/Senior Communications Manager to support the Operations & Business (O&B) Principal Directorate (PD). The O&B PD is a diverse organization within the laboratory, encompassing different functional areas such as Business, Environment, Safety, & Health, Human Resources, Infrastructure & Operations, Project Management Office, Office of Chief Financial Officer, and Security. As a partner to the O&B Principal Associate Director (PAD) and senior management teams, you will work closely with all levels of personnel, program leaders, subject matter experts, and administrative staff to develop and communicate business strategies and initiatives, institutional project updates, and technical information to a wide range of audiences through various communication channels (such as presentations, events, reports, white papers, websites, and other methods). This position is in the Technical Information Department (TID) within the O&B Principal Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the G04.4 or G04.5 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will…
- Develop, implement, and manage an overarching strategic communication plan to define guidelines and processes for communicating information internal and external to O&B, ensure messaging is in alignment and supports O&B strategic goals and identify recommendations for engagement to achieve communication objectives.
- Collaborate with the O&B senior leadership team to plan and implement communications projects, complex communication materials and presentations for the PAD and directorates.
- Serve as a key strategic decision maker and leader, utilizing originality, innovation, and creativity to determine strategies and actions to generate solutions to highly visible and diverse communications.
- Manage and produce high-quality content that engages customers and builds brand recognition.
- Develop, lead, and oversee O&B PD task forces in support of initiatives.
- Author original content and coordinate the publishing process for organization, project- and service-related employee and stakeholder communications such as articles for the employee portal, emails, various physical media, and survey content.
- Manage and coordinate O&B PD and directorates’ internal and external publications, newsletters, website, and materials to ensure message consistency, effectiveness, and audience appropriateness.
- Develop and implement methodologies and techniques to evaluate and measure communication effectiveness.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
At the G04.5 level:
- Collaborate with O&B and Laboratory senior management to plan strategic communications projects for the O&B PD and as needed for the institution.
- Lead significant and highly visible projects that have organization-wide impact and ensure effective and timely communications with internal and external stakeholders.
- Oversee communications budget and monitor expenditures working with resource management staff.
- Serve as an expert-level technical communications resource.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, journalism, marketing, public relations, or related field or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Expert ability to effectively organize content, and to write clearly and concisely to convey both substance and intent with accuracy across various types of communication platforms.
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel, including senior management internal and external to the organization.
- Advanced organization, problem solving, analytical, and decision-making skills to enable the organization to achieve its overall objectives and goals.
- Experience leading and managing complex multi-functional communication projects and teams to develop communication materials that are easily understood by a diverse customer base.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience using style conventions and professional editing/writing skills in a wide variety of scientific, technical, and/or business-related areas and experience working with highly visible, confidential, and sensitive content.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and cloud-based software (Teams, SharePoint), Adobe Creative Cloud software suite, and Confluence. Significant knowledge of and experience writing or modifying HTML. Experience and knowledge of web production tools, content management systems (such as Drupal or WordPress), and web accessibility standards, such as W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and Revised 508 standards.
- Significant experience coordinating and developing multimedia projects (e.g., video, web, presentation). Exceptional presentation skills and ability to develop presentations that include photographs and visual layout of information, using PowerPoint and other basic desktop publishing tools.
- Experience in utilizing virtual communication tools (WebEx) and employing hybrid communication methods.
In addition, at the G04.5 level:
- Familiarity with best practices and latest technologies for strategic planning and engagement frameworks. Knowledge of and experience with web design, UI/UX principles, and experience conducting user research and usability testing.
- Significant experience leading and managing highly visible and complex projects with a diverse group of exempt and non-exempt communication staff, senior management, and other stakeholders.
- Extensive experience working in a fast-paced environment, leading, and overseeing communications activities for a large organization within a national laboratory or similar organizational structure.
- Experience developing and managing budgets and establishing commitments of schedule, quality, and cost for complex projects.
Qualifications We Desire…
- Advanced degree in English, communications, or journalism.
- Journalistic writing and/or social media experience.
- Experience in leading communications for a 1,500+ employee organization.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.