Refine Search Clear All
Weapons Production Group Quality Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/11/2022
Job Code: TSS.1 Technical Services & Ops MTS 1 / TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Weapons Production Group (WPG) Quality Engineers. You will support new and on-going activities in support of the weapon system surveillance and production operations. These positions are administratively in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED)/Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program, supporting the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide guidance to Product Realization Team (PRT) members on Product Realization Process (PRP) activities ensuring work on weapon, weapon related, and surveillance product is executed per WTE procedures, NNSA Weapon Quality Policy NAP 401.1 and the requirements of Defense Programs Business Process Systems (DPBPS).
- Interact with Design Agency (DA) and Production Agency (PA) staff Designers, Subject Matter Experts, Engineers, Quality Engineers, and Management on routine matters.
- Contribute to technical projects and support research as a core member on multiple PRTs providing quality-related expertise on design intent, quality assurance functions, production, surveillance, configuration management and writing clear concise requirements.
- Follow standard practices and procedures per NNSA requirements and DA quality standards to guide PRTs, reviewing and critiquing documentation including part defining product definition drawings (CAD), related engineering support documents, material specifications and process specification requirements to ensure appropriate documentation is generated, released, and maintained in support of the PRT/PRP activities.
- Present and explain technical information maintaining clear and concise communication between Design and Production Agencies in support of programmatic mission.
- Perform the Engineering Evaluations (EE’s) in accordance with LLNL standards to ensure the PRT EE activities are conducted per NNSA and Design Agency requirements.
- Be an independent Quality Engineer assessor during formal EE’s by traveling to Production Agencies and other manufacturing sites to observe and verify the implementation of requirements, repeatable fabrication, inspection, assembly, and surveillance processes.
- Ensure that the EE results and data are appropriately documented and recorded so that production and surveillance activities can be authorized.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.2 level
- Perform independent technical PRT support research, using comprehensive knowledge of DPBPS and PRP concepts, for engineers/management within the WTE Program.
- Provide solutions to a diverse range of moderate to complex issues/problems that require analysis and creative use of established techniques and methods.
- Provide solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects.
- Provide informal mentoring to less-experienced engineering, scientific, and technical staff on DTED/WTE processes, NAP 401.1 and DPBPS requirements.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or related field; Associate degree in Engineering Technology with related experience; or equivalent combination of education and related experience needed to successfully perform in the position.
- Fundamental knowledge in engineering design, fabrication, assembly techniques and materials, material properties, manufacturing methods, theory, manufacturing, and inspection processes.
- Fundamental verbal and written communication skills and experience participating in engineering testing operations, analyzing results, writing reports, and creating presentations, and conducting and participating in design reviews.
- Ability to follow standard practices and procedures to oversee technical team, clearly articulate, enforce, and interpret design intent and requirements of component and supporting drawings and other required documentation.
- Ability to provide solutions to an assortment of issues/problems of limited complexity.
- Familiar with engineering drafting policies and standards including ASME Y14.5M Dimensioning and Tolerancing concepts.
- Ability to provide guidance to less-experienced personnel.
- Ability to travel to meet programmatic milestones.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.2 level
- Comprehensive experience with highly advanced design, fabrication, and assembly techniques directly applicable to material, components, systems, equipment or PRTs.
- Proficient experience developing conceptual designs of mechanical/electronic systems, testing prototypes and associated diagnostics, experience with Computer Aided Design and Drafting or PRTs.
- Ability to provide solutions to a diverse range of moderate to complex issues/problems that require analysis and creative use of established techniques and methods while exercising a high degree of independent judgment and discretion.
- Ability to provide guidance and/or informal mentoring to less experienced personnel, leading, directing, and guiding staff to fulfill programmatic deliverables.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of materials, equipment, or technologies associated with production of mechanical hardware, electronics, additive manufacturing, and QA/QC documentation skills.
- Knowledge and experience in nuclear weapons program stockpile systems, components, classified materials, experimental data, and related diagnostic and testing equipment.
- Knowledge of Windchill CREO and Altium.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.