Refine Search Clear All
Inverse-Kinematics Surrogate Experiments - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 03/04/2022
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to play a leading role in developing and conducting experiments to indirectly constrain the properties of neutron-induced reactions important to stockpile stewardship and nuclear astrophysics. You will use the GODDESS (Gamma-detector ORRUBA: Dual Detectors for Experimental Structure Studies) particle-g spectrometer to conduct experiments at the ATLAS facility at Argonne National Laboratory and FRIB at Michigan State University. Your responsibilities will include setting up and participating in experiments, analyzing the resulting data, and interpreting and publishing the results. You will also be responsible for the design and implementation of new experimental equipment, such as recoil and beam-tracking detectors. This opportunity is in the Nuclear Physics and Accelerator Technologies Group in the Nuclear and Chemicals Sciences (NACS) Division.
In this role you will
- Conduct surrogate-reaction measurements at accelerator-based facilities.
- Perform data analysis and interpret the results of experiments.
- Lead development of recoil and beam-tracking detector systems.
- Develop simulations of detector performance and validate simulations using calibration sources and experimental results.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings.
- Work in close collaboration with colleagues at Argonne National Laboratory, Michigan State University, and the broader nuclear-science community to perform measurements on radioactive nuclei.
- Provide technical contributions to the development of future nuclear-physics experiments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in a nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, nuclear engineering, nuclear chemistry or related field.
- Advanced knowledge with accelerator-based experiments and radiation counting using charged-particle and gamma-ray detectors.
- Experience in nuclear-reaction measurements involving light ions.
- Advanced knowledge in the design, construction, and operation of gas-filled recoil or beam-tracking detectors.
- Programming experience in C++, Python, and/or other programming languages.
- Experience performing data analysis and simulations with ROOT, GEANT4, or similar programs.
- Documented publication record in peer-reviewed literature in physics or a related field.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.