Refine Search Clear All
Nanostructure Synthesis Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory has an immediate opening for a postdoctoral researcher in the area of nanostructured materials. The research will focus on the development of advanced synthesis of novel nanomaterials and their integration into multifunctional material platforms for various applications. You will utilize expertise in surface science and engineering, vapor-phase chemistry, and nanostructured materials. You will work with a dynamic interdisciplinary team of engineers and scientists within the Micro and Nano Technology Section. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED).
In this role, you will
- Conduct research in the area of vapor-phase deposition and engineering of advanced nanostructured materials.
- Design, implement, and analyze experiments for the creation, manipulation, and integration of novel nanostructures into functional systems for various applications.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment both at LLNL and in other national laboratories and universities to accomplish research goals.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of engineers and scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Applied Physics or related field, with emphasis on vapor-phase synthesis of nanostructured materials.
- Expertise in synthesis and characterization of nanocarbon materials such as nanotubes, graphene, diamond, and/or related structures.
- Expertise in a variety of thin-film growth techniques such as chemical vapor deposition (CVD), physical vapor deposition (PVD), atomic layer deposition (ALD), and/or molecular-beam epitaxy (MBE).
- Experience with a range of detailed material metrology techniques such as ellipsometry, Raman, PL, TGA, SEM, TEM, XPS, RBS, XRD, SAXS.
- Experience with operating and maintaining equipment designed high-temperature gas delivery and/or vacuum processing.
- Ability to perform as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, measurement, and data acquisition techniques, including developing innovative solutions to scientific and technical problems.
- Proficient verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with materials processing scale-up activities.
- Experience with catalytic thermal CVD of vertically aligned carbon nanotubes.
- Experience with doping, alloying, and/or synthesizing heterostructured materials.
- Working knowledge of semiconductors, electromagnetics, and optoelectronics.
- Familiarity with various micro-/nanofabrication techniques (e.g., lithography) for building and testing devices for different applications.
- Experience designing and fabricating flexible, dynamic, responsive, and multi-functional materials.
- Familiarity with a range of other materials including boron nitride, boron carbide, metal chalcogenides, metals, ceramics, polymers, ionic liquids/gels, nanodispersions.
- Proficiency with basic programming software for controlling equipment and data analysis, such as MATLAB, Python, or LabVIEW.
- Ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now